Re: http://www.w3.org/WAI/ut3/techpapers.html

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:53:55 +0200, Shawn Henry <shawn@w3.org> wrote:

Hi Shawn,

>  Putting the technical papers links only within the introduction pages
> rather than the basic navigation was done for several reasons, based on
> UCD analysis and usability testing. I did just add a direct link to the
> CAPTCHA paper in the body of http://www.w3.org/WAI/ut3/techpapers.html.

I did my "one user sample" test - a power user looking for specific
information. I imagined that technical papers would be with guidelines and
techniques (not a perfect fit, but a lot more obvious than others). What I
was hoping for in that section, which is where I expect technical people
to go, is something like

Guidelines and techniques

  + Web Content
     - Introduction to WCAG
     - WCAG specification
     - WCAG techniques
  + User Agents (browsers)
     - UAAG specification
     - Introduction to UAAG
  + Authoring Tools
     - ATAG specification
     - Introduction to ATAG

Other technical papers
                        /* probably a seperate category */

  + EARL
     - EARL schema specification
     - EARL Guide
                      /* the group has decided to produce two documents...
*/
  + Captcha accessibility
     - Inaccessibility of Captcha Note
     - introduction to captcha inaccessibility
  + HTML Accessibility features
  + SMIL Accessibility features
  + CSS Accessibility features
  + SVG Accessibility features

As a techie, I don't expect "managing accessibility" to be relevant (the
word "management" is what puts me off it. Blame Scott Adams :-) Plus the
fact that EARL was in the guidelines section makes me think this is what
there is for technical info.

>  We're working on a new logo. Will probably end up using the old one for
> a little while longer. Plan to have a new logo before too long.

I'm actaully not too worried about logos, so long as I can identify them.
Changing logos is a real PITA to try and get used to. Just ask the guy
sometimes known as Prince.

By the way, do you have some scenarios for testing the site? I would be
interested in pointing Opera developers at it and seeing what they make of
it, since I have real use cases for them to be trying out, but some of
them might already match yours. I ust need to convince them to be watched
while they work...

Cheers

Chaals

--