German Policies Relating to Web Accessibility

From: Tomas Caspers <tomas@tomascaspers.de>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:01:15 +0200
To: wai-eo-editors@w3.org

Shawn,
the German accessibility initiative 'Einfach für Alle' has some
additional info on the legislation in this country, both on the national
and on the state level:

In addition to the PDF-Version you list at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/Policy/#DE we have a (slightly more accessible :-)
version of the federal BITV regulation at:

http://www.einfach-fuer-alle.de/artikel/bitv/
(the regulation itself)
http://www.einfachfueralle.de/artikel/bitv/bitv_anlage.html
(appendix 1, list of checkpoints, grouped into 2 priorities derived from
WCAG1)
http://www.einfachfueralle.de/artikel/bitv/bitv_glossar.html
(appendix 2, glossary)
http://www.einfachfueralle.de/artikel/bitv/landesgleichstellungsgesetze.html
(overview of the current legislation process in the individual states -
only 6 out of 16 states have a discrimination law.)

Btw, the sponsoring departments for this law and regulation were the
German Department of the Interior (Bundesministerium des Innern) and the
Labour Department (Bundesministerium für Arbeit und Sozialordnung).

I talked to Wendy and Gregg at theVenice f2f about providing an english
translation of the federal regulation to W3C. I had a conversation today
with a contact at the labour department and they promised to do one
sometime next week, so I'll send it as soon as I have it.

HTH

/Tomas Caspers

--
This space intentionally left blank