 From: "Josef Dietl" <jdietl@w3.org>
 To: <w3c-ac-members@w3.org>
 Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 18:00:04 +0200
 Subject: Call for Review / Call for Participation: XML-DSig Activity
 Dear Advisory Committee Representative,

 Please take the time to review the just issued Briefing Package for the
 XML-DSig Activity, and the XML-DSig charter, and send in your review
 and/or participation commitment using the forms below. We appreciate
 your understanding that the Web forms for voting are not yet available.
 Please note that, however, the Reply-To is correctly set and that an
 "abstain" item has been added to the review.
 Please note also that, if the Activity is approved, the first
 face-to-face meeting is planned for the 45th IETF meeting in Oslo (see
 http://www.ietf.org/meetings/IETF-45.html).
 We specifically value your opinion on this Activity, as it is a
 pioneering effort in the collaboration between W3C and the IETF.

 Briefing Package:
         http://www.w3.org/1999/05/XML-DSig-CFP-990521.html
 XML-DSig charter:
         http://www.w3.org/1999/05/XML-DSig-charter-990521.html

 >From the executive summary of the Briefing Package:

 Structured information permits data to be easily read, exchanged, and
 acted upon by Web agents. The scope of such information often includes
 media-independent data for electronic publishing, electronic commerce
 and -- critically -- information about other information (metadata). The
 W3C's Extensible Markup Language (XML) Recommendation specifies a
 standard syntax for structuring Web documents. The content of the
 document structure is arbitrary; anyone can create a XML data structure
 (be it a bibliographic format or cooking recipe) as long as it is well
 formed. One can also associate (through RDF or Xlink) the meaning of the
 structured information to a Web resource. For example, "The resource at
 http://foo.com/~bar.html has a bibliographic entry as follows ...." This
 is very powerful!
 However, the usefulness of structured information is dependent on how
 trustworthy it is. Is the authenticity of an assertion or the integrity
 of a price list assured? This Briefing Package follows the conclusion of
 the XML-DSig workshop in which the participants advocated the initiation
 of a XML-DSig activity. The activity will initially consist of a single
 WG with an explicit requirements, constraints, deliverables, and
 time-table. One such deliverable is the chartering of additional work
 once the first phase is complete. At such a time, ghe Adisory Committee
 must be notified of such additional work and is subject to the approval
 of the Director.

 Procedure

       1. Read the full Briefing Package and Charters
 	        http://www.w3.org/1999/05/XML-DSig-CFP-990521.html
 	        http://www.w3.org/1999/05/XML-DSig-charter-990521.html

       2. Before 24:00 GMT 22 June 1999, to comment on the
          creation of the XML-DSig Activity and/or the
          Working Group, or to indicate likely participation,
          fill out the following form and send it to
          xml-dsig-review@w3.org

       3. If you have intellectual property rights related to
          the XML-DSig Activity, please disclose them following
          http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/#ipr

       4. The W3C Director will announce the disposition of
          the review by 30 June 1999

 XML-DSig Activity Review Form

 1) AC Representative First Name:

 2) AC Representative Last Name:

 3) AC Representative Email Address:

 4) Employer (W3C Member Company/Organization):

 5) Choose one of the following by marking with an X:

    [ ] We agree that W3C should create the XML-DSig Activity
        as proposed or with slight changes suggested in other reviews

    [ ] We agree that W3C should create the XML-DSig Activity,
        but request the following changes to Briefing
        Package or charters:

    [ ] We abstain from expressing an opinion on the creation of the
 	 XML-DSig Activity

    [ ] W3C resources should not be spent on the XML-DSig
        Activity because (please explain why):

 6) Intellectual Property Rights (please choose one)
    [ ] We do not have intellectual property rights
        relating to the XML-DSig Activity
    [ ] We have disclosed our IPR following the procedure at
        http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/#ipr

 XML-DSig Working Group Participation

 1) AC Representative First Name:

 2) AC Representative Last Name:

 3) AC Representative Email Address:

 4) Employer (W3C Member Company/Organization):

 5) In the case of the creation of the XML-DSig Working Group, we
    propose the following participant:

 Name:
 Email Address:
 Telephone Number:
 Employer:

 We understand the level of commitment as outlined in the
 Charter. We are willing to commit to this.

 6) Intellectual Property Rights (please choose one)
    [ ] We do not have intellectual property rights
        relating to the Privacy Activity
    [ ] We have disclosed our IPR following the procedure at
        http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/#ipr

 [The following entries are optional; delete each one if it is not
 applicable.]

 We will participate only under the following conditions:

 Other items to be considered by the W3C Staff Activity Leader:

 FORM ENDS

End Forwarded Text ----
Joseph Reagle Jr.  http://www.w3.org/People/Reagle/
Policy Analyst     mailto:reagle@w3.org