RE: Single Key in Originator Information

From: Paul Lambert <plambert@certicom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:55:26 -0700
To: rdbrown@globeset.com
cc: w3c-xml-sig-ws@w3.org

>When you wrote "differentiating" do you mean being explicit in the
>documentation or adopting different markup?

I suggest adopting different markup.  The syntax and semantics of a message
protected by a keyed hash are different than a public key signature.  The
markup should clearly distinguish between these services.  A URI providing
algorithm type is not sufficient.

I propose that we plan support and specific markup for:
- public key digital signatures
- keyed hash integrity
- encryption (very similar in structure and usage to keyed hash)
- key exchange (I've got lots of questions about this but will defer
  on this topic for awhile)

I believe that this proposal is a very minor modification to exisitng
proposals.

Paul