MIME Blobs

     I've encountered a related difficulty in a specification I'm working
     on at

     http://www.nmcourt.fed.us/xci/xcispec.htm

     in which I'm defining a protocol for exchange of information between a
     court and attorneys, including electronic filing.  The problem is that
     our court is currently accepting electronic filings in PDF format.  We
     want the PDF documents signed in their native format (i.e. as close to
     presentation format as possible).  If the PDF document were packaged
     within XML, it would presumably be base64 encoded and tagged with a
     MIME package element (type="application/pdf").  The problem is that I
     need to include the signature of the source PDF in the XML document,
     not the base64 version with the tags, and I'd like to do it in a
     "standard" way.

     Other applications may run into this same problem, where the encoded
     content is application-specific but signed in its native format.  An
     example may be future e-mail systems using MIME.

     I would like the standard to include the ablility to specify that a
     hash (signature) is applied only to the unencoded content of a MIME
     package (the original binary blob) without having to write it
     externally for verification.

     Rich Himes <rhimes@nmcourt.fed.us>