Re: unparsed entities

[Note to list users, for the <w3c-xml-sig-ws@w3.org> list at least, you need
not carry the thread of the conversation in the message, the list is
archived at:
        http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-xml-sig-ws/
Also, it is always better to send plain text for archival purposes]

At 05:24 PM 4/2/99 -0500, dee3@us.ibm.com wrote:
 >I believe it is incorrect to say that this mechanism should always chase
 >down every external reference.

I'm hesitant to say such a thing as well, however in particular instances,
it certainly makes sense. One potential avenue we could pursue would be to
rely upon the xml content authors use of xml-link syntax to indicate if a
link should be chased. If they indicate it should be chased, then it will be
chased:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-xlink
  6.1 The "Show" Axis

   The show attribute is used to express a policy as to the context in
   which a resource that is traversed to should be displayed or
   processed. It may take one of three values:

   embed
          Indicates that upon traversal of the link, the designated
          resource should be embedded, for the purposes of display or
          processing, in the body of the resource and at the location
          where the traversal started.

However, I'm frightened by the complexity of this.

Regardless, I'm still trying to think of the right data model "paradigm" for
thinking of these signatures, then I figure things will more easily fall
into place. (Not that there need be just one, obviosly there's the surface
string bits, XML syntax, DOM (trees with links), RDF (graphs), etc.)
Joseph Reagle Jr.  W3C:     http://www.w3.org/People/Reagle/
Policy Analyst     Personal:  http://web.mit.edu/reagle/www/
                   mailto:reagle@w3.org