Re: unparsed entities

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the feedback. However, I don't think an unambiguous reference is
going to do the trick in a practical sense because a reference does not lock
the resource into position on the net or prevent it from being changed.
Stylesheets, images, etc. are a necessary part of running real applications
over time, yet a digital signature that must stay in effect over a long time
cannot permit such changes.  And having a hash of an external entity does
solve the problem because hashing functions are one-way.  It is not possible
to use the hash to reconstruct the object, which means that it is still not
possible to render the disputed agreement.

Furthermore, I don't think it is accurate to say that this limitation makes
it difficult to elaborate and promote general purpose form processing
standards and tools since XFDL itself contradicts that point of view.  To
wit, XFDL's current solution to the limitation is to collect all relevant
presentation layer elements including images and elements of style into a
single object, the form.  A second solution, which is discussed in section 1
of the position paper appearing at
http://www.w3.org/DSig/signed-XML99/pp/signedxml.htm, is to collect all
external objects and bring them in as subelements of the signature element
being created.  Either of these approaches eliminates the problem of
resources being changed or moved in the future.  We want a snapshot
mentality, like paper forms.  Just because a company changes its logo
doesn't mean that signatures on old forms are invalid, but it also does not
mean that the logos on those old forms will change.

Now, to be fair, signature filters greatly complicate matters, but that's
another story so in the interest of brevity, I won't enumerate the issues in
this letter.

Thanks,
John Boyer
Software Development Manager