Re: XML Canonicalization Requirements

Joseph Reagle wrote:

> I want to draw your attention to the W3C Note [1].
>        http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-xml-canonical-req

I have a comment on the second requirement in the Note, which reads

"2. The canonical form of an XML document shall be a well-formed XML
document."

Apparently DOMHash does not satisfy this requirement.
However, in the same document it states that its objective as

"The Canonical XML specification aims to introduce a notion of equivalence
between
      XML documents which can be tested at the syntactic level and, in
particular, by
      byte-for-byte comparison."

and as applications of canonicalization it mentions that

"Such equivalence testing is useful in a number of domains including
digital signatures,
      checksums, version control and conformance testing."

For these purposes, DOMHash is clearly useful.

Is this well-formedness of canonical form an absolute requirement, or
is there any way to relax this requirement to accommodate DOMHash as
a candidate of canonical form?

Hiroshi Maruyama