Re: Dictionaries (was Re: Accessibility review ...)

> In our paper on "Hypertext Link Relationships in HTML,"

Any URL for the full text ?

> The idea is that one could specify any number of
>
> 	<LINK REL="DICTIONARY" CLASS="..." TITLE="..." HREF="...">
>
> in a document to tell the user agent when to locate
> dictionary resources if called upon to use them.

That's a more generic solution and therefore I think we should adopt
it.

What is the status of this proposal ? I don't see any mention of it in
the latest HTML4 draft.

> All that is really necesary is for the WAI WG to
> name a list of reserved keywords that can be
> universally recognized as links to accessibility-
> related resources.

Since this is closely related to the handling of abbreviation, acronym
and phonetic markup (all very new, or even to-be-defined) I would
advise to make it action items under this task in the WAI FP group,
rather than putting it in the HTML4 fast track band-wagon.

> That could include the long
> description, a Braille version of a resource,
> an audio version, etc.

I don't follow here. Isn't it the role of rel="alternate" ?

> Ideally for the benefit of language designers,
> we will probably want to adopt a set of keywords
> that use a unique prefix to designate them.
> If I recall correctly -- which I may not --
> the prefix agreed upon with the XML WG was "XMLWAI".
> That agreement was reached before the WAI WG existed.

Are you referring to:
  http://www.w3.org/WAI/group/FP/xmlsda.html

(attached text for convenience, this is a mail I got from Mike
 Paciello last July)