Lowney's HTML extensions (was [w3c-wai-wg] <none>)

Raman wrote:
> 1) Customized bullets for list items -- this is addressed by CSS1
> and it would be silly to add this now as an HTML attribute.

Yes, and the CSS mechanism is more powerful as it supports inheritance
of list-style among other things.

> 2) Ditto for button appearances

Well, not quite.

The static border look functionality is present (CSS border-style) but
the simple pressed/depressed setting using two images that Greg is
proposing would have to be done thru scripting in the current spec,
which is harder.

I don't know if Greg has looked at the new BUTTON element in FORM.

> 3) Field groupings-- this is something that is much needed. In the summer of
> 1995, Dave Ragget and I had worked on this and come up with an extension to
> the forms spec-- that took a back seat while Dave worked on tables. Many of
> those ideas have been folded into
> an extended forms proposal for HTML (from Microsoft no less)
> --and I am not sure where that is in the HTML4 work train.

FIELDSET and LEGEND are in HTML4 FORM.

> I would  focus on making sure that that work meets all accessibility
> requirements and more rather than introducing an accessibility specific field
> grouping tag.

Yes, the HTML4 spec is now available and waiting for more review.

The other extensions in Greg's document cover:
	- issue with logical ordering of markup, which Al Gilman has
        already proposed to as a new work item (private mail, on my stack)
        - issue with TABLE orientation, which needs to be folded in
        our TABLE work item. I like Greg's "HTML Presentation of
	Tables" document, it has examples :-)

PS: Greg, could you send me your documents in HTML, so that I can make
them readily available thru our WAI WG site ?