Re: draft guideline (R1/2)

On Thu, 17 Jul 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

> The idea of a text page which provides links covering "everywhere
> you can go from the Image Map" is a good idea to me, too.  I
> tried to say every image map should have one of these, and
> furthermore it should always be what you get as the response to
> selecting the coordinates (0,0) or any other coordinates outside
> the sensitive regions.

I think the use of server-side image maps should be strongly discouraged
in favour of client-side maps, which have been officially available since
the release of HTML 3.2. The above solution is appropriate to server-side
image maps and may perhaps be offered in guidelines as an alternative, but
I think the most important message which should be communicated to authors
is that for the benefit of accessibility, they need to make use of
client-side image maps with proper ALT attributes. In fact, if I remember
rightly, the ALT attribute is required in the elements that designate the
regions of a client-side image map.