Re: ACTION-1006 - to write a proposal for autosave on pages with forms

A few more thoughts:

What priority level should it have? That's a lot of sub-requirements; are they all the same priority, and monolithic in the sense that failing any one should really cause the user agent to fail them all?

Is "autosave" an appropriate/acceptable term, or does it need to be something more cumbersome like "save automatically"?

Re the 2nd bullet item, is it really worth it to require separate user options for saving data vs. repopulating with it? Is the intention that the user might choose to have the data they entered saved, but might turn the automatic repopulation off and on? Is that important enough to require? Do any current user agents support it?

The 2nd bullet specifically says "non-submitted" autosaved forms; should the non-submitted part be moved to the basic SC instead of being limited to one sub-requirement? If submitted forms still need to be saved, but aren't used to repopulate the forms, what good are they? If you're trying to help people avoid reentering data, then presumably it is useful to remember submitted forms as well, as they may have to be used more than once.

Are we going with the "The user can specify" wording, which implies that the user can turn it off, or the "The user can have" wording that allow the user agent to provide this as a non-optional behavior?

I'm not clear what is mean by the final bullet. It says "permanently save a copy of...the page", not the data. Is that supposed to mean simply the normal "Save As" function but with the initial values set to their current values, or is it supposed to mean just saving the data associated with this form, merely defeating the normal circumstances that trigger the data reset per bullet item 3?

Re bullet 3, "reset...after a given time period", nite that this will require every piece of saved data to be timestamped in case the user changes the reset time. Every time the user agent starts up it will need to scan every piece to see if it's expired, as well as either setting a countdown timer for each one or checking them periodically when it runs. It seems like a lot of overhead for the benefit.

A fair number of SC have bullet items are essentially stand-alone requirements phrased as complete sentences, and I notice that of those only 1.2.1 and 1.4.4 fail to give titles to the bullet items. (This is not concerning SC like 1.2.2 which have lists of cases that don't stand on their own and are not complete sentences.) If we go that route with the proposed new SC, we should probably make it consistent with the others, giving something like this:

*3.2.y Autosave Forms:* The user can specify that user changes to form field pages be automatically saved locally: (Level AA)
* *Saved states:* Automatically saved form data includes the content of text input fields, the state of controls such as radio buttons and checkboxes, and point of regard.
* *Auto-restore:* The user can specify that an [non-submitted] autosaved form repopulate the same form page when it is opened again. [Or, Automatically saved form data repopulates the same form page when it is opened again.]
* *Reset:* The user can specify the circumstances under which autosaved fields be reset, including when the user agent closes, or after a given time period.
* *Save Permanently:* The user can permanently save a copy of the autosaved form field pages. [Clarify this one]

     Greg