Re: Definition of "globally" and related terms

Greg,
Global setting works for me. thanks for ferreting this out.
Jeanne and or Kim, please make this editorial change.
I think we can leave the definition generalization to the editors also,
unless someone makes a proposal.

Jim

On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 8:36 PM, Greg Lowney <gcl-0039@access-research.org>wrote:

>  The definition of "globally, global configuration" is not entirely
> correct for how it's used in our document.
>
> It reads "a global setting is one that *applies to the entire user agent*
> or all content being rendered by it, rather than to a specific feature
> within the user agent or a specific document being viewed." However, the
> document also uses the term in reference to things beyond the scope of the
> user agent, such as "global settings on the device", "global volume level
> set through operating environment mechanisms", etc. We might want to
> generalize the definition to be global with respect to whatever's being
> discussed, whether it be the user agent, platform, or device.
>
> Also, as a more minor point, the term "global configuration" is only used
> in the heading of this glossary entry, while the rest of the document uses
> the terms "global settings", its synonyms "global preference setting",
> "global option", and "global control", its subsets "global default
> setting", "global volume level",  and "global mute command". We might want
> to remove "global configuration" and settle on one term for "global
> settings".
>
>     Thanks,
>     Greg

1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756