W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > October to December 2012

Minutes: UAWG 13 Dec 2012 telecon

From: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:39:58 -0600
Message-ID: <CA+=z1WmksY6bdnDPCkkHxng6oXv8P6CUQmQYROiU+tcG8sYw5A@mail.gmail.com>
To: WAI-ua <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
from http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html
- DRAFT - User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference 13
Dec 2012

See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-irc>
Attendees
Present+1.425.381.aaaa, Jeanne, Greg_Lowney, Kelly, Jim_Allan, Kim_Patch,
sharperRegretsJan, MarkChairjimAllan, KellyFordScribekford, jallan
Contents

   - Topics <http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#agenda>
      1. wrapping up levels - send level proposals to the
list.<http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#item01>
      2. Action items 2
outstanding<http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#item02>
      3. ACTION-720: Ensure disabling images gets in
2.11<http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#item03>
   - Summary of Action
Items<http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

------------------------------
 Summary of Action Items *[NEW]* *ACTION:* jeanne to add examples to 1.1.x
-- changing transparency to 0 or hiding background images because of
distracting bleed through on transparent for ground. Add to Note: This
applies to both foreground and background content. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action05]
*[NEW]* *ACTION:* Jeanne to fix the examples and numbering from GL email
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2012OctDec/0049.html[recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action01]
*[NEW]* *ACTION:* jeanne to look for examples to repurpose for 1.1.x. Check
2.11.1 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action03]
*[NEW]* *ACTION:* jeanne to remove 2.11.1 from document. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action04]
*[NEW]* *ACTION:* Jeanne to update document with the contents of Greg's
email - moving "and placeholder" into the glossary using the sentence
above. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2012OctDec/0049.htmlDon't
forget glossary changes [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action02]
*[NEW]* *ACTION:* jim to get information about TSBVI lodging for F2F
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action06]
*[NEW]* *ACTION:* kford to send list of bugs people from UAAG need to
close. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action07]

<trackbot> Date: 13 December 2012

<JAllan> Latest editor's draft -

<JAllan> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2012/ED-IMPLEMENTING-UAAG20-20121206/

<kford> Scribe: kford
wrapping up levels - send level proposals to the list.

JA: Just a reminder everyone look at levels. if we don't hear anything soon
we are assuming all is good.
Action items 2 outstanding ACTION-720: Ensure disabling images gets in 2.11

<JAllan> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2012OctDec/0049.html

JA: It seems like you cover a lot of stuff here.

GL: From the mail there are three issues.
... First paragraph points out items that belong in other SC.

<jeanne> *ACTION:* Jeanne to fix the examples and numbering from GL email
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2012OctDec/0049.html[recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-780 - Fix the examples and numbering from GL
email http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2012OctDec/0049.html[on
Jeanne F Spellman - due 2012-12-20].

GL: Second, when we talk we talk about alternative content I suggest we use
alternative content and placeholders.
... Definitions are a bit vague but seems to be that alternative content is
items provided by the author and placeholders by the user agent.
... Third thing deals with where I started talking about hiding images.
... Decided to take existing SC that talks about show/hide background
images and expand that to cover any image.

JA: Asking Jeanne and Kim if we should discuss this more.

<Greg> Current definition of placeholder:

<Greg> A placeholder is content generated by the user agent to replace
author-supplied content. A placeholder may be generated as the result of a
user preference (e.g. to not render images) or as repair content (e.g. when
an image cannot be found). A placeholder can be any type of content,
including text, images, and audio cues. A placeholder should identify the
technology of the replaced...

<Greg> ...object. Placeholders appear in the alternative content stack.

<JAllan> alternative content

<JAllan> Content that can be used in place of default content that may not
be universally accessible. Alternative content fulfills the same purpose as
the original content. Examples include text alternatives for non-text
content, captions for audio, audio descriptions for video, sign language
for audio, media alternatives for time-based media. See WCAG for more
information.

<JAllan> alternative content stack

<JAllan> A set of alternative content items. The items may be mutually
exclusive (e.g. regular contrast graphic vs. high contrast graphic) or
non-exclusive (e.g. caption track that can play at the same time as a sound
track).

<Greg> The term "alternative content stack" is no longer used outside of
the glossary (as 1.1.4 was rewritten to not use it), so it can presumably
be deleted. It does occur in the definition of placeholder, and that
sentence can also be deleted.

Discussion around what placeholder means.

GL: could get rid of placeholder itself and put this in the definition of
alternative content and expand it to mean that it comes from author or user
agent.

<Greg> "Alternative content can be provided by the author (e.g. Alt text,
captions) or by the user agent (e.g. an icon or filename displayed in place
of a hidden or missing image)."

<Greg> Again, need to review all instances of "alternative content" in the
document to make sure they're not supposed to be only about
author-generated alternative content.

JA: is there any against adding placeholder into the definition of
alternative content based on earlier wording?

<jeanne> +1 for moving to the definition

JA: Hearing none.

<Greg> Don't forget to also review definition of repair content and repair
text.

<JAllan> proposal: 1.1.x Replace Non-Text Content: The user can have all
recognized non-text content replaced by alternative content or
placeholders. (Level A).

<jeanne> *ACTION:* Jeanne to update document with the contents of Greg's
email - moving "and placeholder" into the glossary using the sentence
above. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2012OctDec/0049.htmlDon't
forget glossary changes [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-781 - Update document with the contents of Greg's
email - moving "and placeholder" into the glossary using the sentence
above. http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2012OctDec/0049.htmlDon't
forget glossary changes [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2012-12-20].

<JAllan> Add *Note: At Level A, the user agent can choose which type of
alternative content or placeholder is used to replace the non-text content.
However, at Level AA success criterion 1.1.2 will require that the user be
allowed to specify one format or placeholder that will be used, and at
Level AAA success criterion 1.1.4 will require the user be allowed to
specify a cascade order of formats to...

<JAllan> ...be rendered.*

<JAllan> Add: *Intent for 1.1.x: Users may wish to hide images for a number
of different reasons. Some users with cognitive disabilities may wish to
hide images in order to avoid those that would be severely distracting.
Some users with visual disabilities may wish to hide images in order to
avoid those that are painful (such as those with high contrast). Other
users may wish to replace images with...

<JAllan> ...alternative content because they are unlikely to be able to
visually discern, understand, or otherwise benefit from the images. Some
users with impaired motion or dexterity may wish to replace images with
smaller alternative content to reduce the amount of scrolling they have to
do, while some users with attention deficit disorder may wish to do the
same thing in order to keep as much...

<JAllan> ...information visible on the screen as possible.*

<Greg> I'd like people to review the Summaries I included, because it took
a while to analyze the existing SC and figure out what is up to the user
and what is up to the user agent. I'm not sure we want to be that vague.

<Greg> Another issue is that if we delete 2.11.1 it would leave only a
single SC in 2.11 that is not about time-based media; if we move the SC
about execution placeholder, we can rename Guideline 2.11 to be more useful
about time-based media.

JA: GL has a proposal to add 1.1.x to the document.

<jeanne> *ACTION:* jeanne to look for examples to repurpose for 1.1.x.
Check 2.11.1 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-782 - Look for examples to repurpose for 1.1.x.
Check 2.11.1 [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2012-12-20].

ja: aNY OBJECTIONS TO ADDING 1.1.X?
... nONE HEARD.

rESOLVED: 1.1.X TO BE ADDED TO THE DOCUMENT.

Reminder to update the appropriate summaries.

<jeanne> jeanne to add 1.1.x to document based on GL email
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2012OctDec/0049.html

<JAllan> proposal: Delete [2.11.1 Background Image Toggle: The user can
have all recognized background images shown or hidden. (Level A)] {It is
subsumed into 1.1.x.}

JA: Any objections to this proposal?

<Greg> HTML5 Transparency attribute adds more weight to the requirement
that the user be able to hide all images that might bleed through
foreground content.

Group discussing issues around transparency.

<Greg> We cannot rely on user style sheets to turn off transparency,
because while HTML5 supports that, other technologies might have the
equivalent of Transparency without the equivalent of user style sheets.

<JAllan> use for examples in 1.1.x -- changing transparency to 0 or hiding
background images because of distracting bleed through on transparent for
ground

<Greg> Add to 1.1.x "Note: This applies to both foreground and background
content." (?)

JA asks again for any objections.

None heard.

\Resolved: 2.11 to be deleted from the document.

Remember to update any updated summaries.

<JAllan> *ACTION:* jeanne to remove 2.11.1 from document. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-783 - Remove 2.11.1 from document. [on Jeanne F
Spellman - due 2012-12-20].

<jeanne> *ACTION:* jeanne to add examples to 1.1.x -- changing transparency
to 0 or hiding background images because of distracting bleed through on
transparent for ground. Add to Note: This applies to both foreground and
background content. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-784 - Add examples to 1.1.x -- changing
transparency to 0 or hiding background images because of distracting bleed
through on transparent for ground. Add to Note: This applies to both
foreground and background content. [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2012-12-20].

<JAllan> close item 2

<JAllan> open item 4

<JAllan> reminder to think. SXSW lodging

<JAllan> cost is an issue, jeanne prefers SXSW.

<JAllan> *ACTION:* jim to get information about TSBVI lodging for F2F
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action06]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-785 - Get information about TSBVI lodging for F2F
[on Jim Allan - due 2012-12-20].

<JAllan> close item 4

<JAllan> open item 5

<JAllan> scribe: jallan

A11y task force, outstanding bugs. are they closed or do they need to be
reopened.

if UAWG members have outstanding bugs please close them or reopen

<Zakim> jeanne, you wanted to give some background

<kford> *ACTION:* kford to send list of bugs people from UAAG need to
close. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/12/13-ua-minutes.html#action07]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-786 - Send list of bugs people from UAAG need to
close. [on Kelly Ford - due 2012-12-20].

<kford> JS gives update on bugs for HTML5

bug list http://tinyurl.com/d9u2d2o

open bugs 13630, 13623, 13616, 13594, 13579, 13555, 13539

and 13564

close item 5


[End of minutes]

-- 
Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator & Webmaster
Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756
voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/
"We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan, 1964
Received on Thursday, 13 December 2012 19:40:24 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 13 December 2012 19:40:24 GMT