Re: Feasibiity as a factor for Level Selection

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012 21:40:45 +0100, Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu> wrote:

> Going by Wayne's original document I would say the amount or quality
> AI involved simple guess versus complex heuristic..
> I don;t thing we can say an existing implementation indicates ease,
> only that there was a good enough business case to make a feature.

It's really a question of whether the technology is available and
reliable. If someone can implement it easily, then it is probably not
terribly hard - although it might be hard to put into a specific product.

The problem for UAAG in particular and accessibility in general is that it
is too easy for developers to say "but this is really hard". There was a
specific exclusion to 508 saying you didn't need to do things like make
selection of brush types in a painting program keyboard controllable.
Having contributed to an entirely keyboard-controlled program for
painting, which allowed multiple brush selection, it is pretty clear this
was the result of a self-interested company lobbying for a lighter
requirement, rather than any reality-based exclusion because something is
too difficult.

Which is why I like Wayne's approach. Indeed, deterministic vs inferential
might be a very large part of the question of ease - since the former
implies programming against a known target and the latter asks developers
to imagine some algorithm that cannot be described.

cheers

Chaals

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM, Jeanne Spellman <jeanne@w3.org> wrote:
>> Agreed, this is a useful analysis and I have already grabbed part of it
>> to put into the proposal for the level definitions.
>>
>> My question is: deterministic vs. inferential is one part of ease, but
>> it certainly isn't all of it.  What are the factors that define ease?
>> We already have existing implementations indicate ease, but what else?
>>
>> What else makes a feature hard to implement?
>>
>> jeanne
>>

>> On 1/27/2012 1:10 PM, Jim Allan wrote:
>>>
>>> Wayne,
>>> thanks for doing the thinking and writing on this. A good place to
>>> start. I agree with Chaals it strikes a good balance for ease vs
>>> impact. That's where we as a group can decide to push the level up or
>>> down.
>>>
>>> Jim

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan litt norsk