From: Wayne Dick [mailto:wayneedick@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 06, 2011 3:11 PM
To: Kelly Ford; Jim Allan; Jeanne Spellman
Subject: Guideline 1.7: Style Profiles

Hi Kelly, Jeanne and Jim,

(same as the untitled version, but easier to classify.)

 Here is my refined work on style sheets.

 I have defined "style profiles" a content neutral version of the style
 sheet concept.

 This model is supported native or through add-on extensions by Chrome,
 Firefox, IE, Opera and Safari.  The style profiles are style sheets
 are the profiles and users and authors have equally effective access.

 Several word processors (which act as user agents) provide style
 templates, their version of style profiles.  These include Word and
 Open Office Writer.

  The link for the wording of a new Guideline 1.7 is:
http://www.csulb.edu/~wed/UAAG/1.7.html

 I hope the style sheet is not annoying.  I thought it was a compromise
 between me and you.  The html is accessible, so Kelly you've got it
 too.

 Wayne

***text of proposal***

Guideline 1.7 - Enable Configuration of Style Profiles [Implementing 1.7] Summary: The user agent shall support user style profiles and the user can choose which if any author-supplied (1.7.1) and user-supplied (1.7.2) style profiles to use.
New definitions  A style grouping is a collection of content that can be assigned to a set of presentation properties.  Style groupings can be defined in three ways:
Language: The content definition language identifies groupings of content as part of a document's semantic structure to support generic separation of content from presentation, e.g. headings, lists, paragraphs etc.
Author: The author defines groupings of content to assign presentation properties that enhance the meaning of the document, e.g. content classes, spans and divisions etc. User: The user defines groupings of content to assign presentation properties to meet adaptation needs.
Style Rule
An assignment of presentation properties to a style grouping is a style rule. Style Profile
An identifiable collection of style rules is a style profile.  1.7.0 User Supplied Style ProfilesUser agents that support a mechanism for authors to supply style profiles shall also provide an equally effective mechanism for users to supply profiles. (Level A)
1.7.1 Author Supplied Style Profiles
The user can turn on or off the use of author style profiles, and for every author style profile the user can choose whether or not it should be applied to: (Level A)
(a) the current page, or (b) all pages for which it is defined. 1.7.2 User Supplied Style Profiles: The user can turn on the use of user style profiles and for every user style profile defined, the user can choose whether or not it should be applied to: (Level A)
(a) the current page, or (b) all pages on specified web sites, or (c) all pages. 1.7.3 Save copies of style profiles:The user can save copies of the style profiles referenced by the current page, so that they can edit and load them as user style profiles. (Level AA)