Re: LCWD of Touch Events v1; comment deadline October 11

Jumping in on this with a few (not very detailed, but there's more if
needed) answers:

On 15/09/2011 17:56, Jim Allan wrote:
> This is interesting. I assume that if I have a touchpad on my laptop
> that multipoint touches with work.

It will depend on your laptop OS and browser combo. Traditionally
"desktop" browsers haven't always supported touch events, but as far as
I remember Firefox on desktop supports it (in Windows 7 with a
touch-enabled screen - like on tablet devices). Opera for desktop
doesn't currently, but as an interesting aside I've seen that the Opera
Mobile Emulator (used to test our mobile browser in a desktop
environment) responds to MacBook multitouch on the touchpad.

> ?? can voice commands be mapped to 'touch' commands.
> ?? is it up to the author to ensure that the keyboard and/or mouse
> controls are mapped to touch events

In mobile browsers, there's usually a built-in mapping that translates a
touch to a series of mouse events. Generally though, this only applies
to single-touch, and only to individual clicks - a tap on the screen
fires the various focus/click events, but the browser doesn't "track" a
touch, nor does it fire any mousemove equivalents. To actually react to
single-finger movement on the screen, and definitely for multitouch,
developers need to specifically change their code to track
touchstart/touchmove/touchend events.

--
Patrick H. Lauke

Web Evangelist, Developer Relations Team
http://dev.opera.com

Product Manager, Opera Dragonfly
http://www.opera.com/dragonfly