W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > July to September 2011

Minutes: UAWG 4 August 2011

From: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2011 13:50:58 -0500
Message-ID: <CA+=z1WmKTpvaN15dFXFyKW3CB6oP91Tr6q2L29d=Zqq1cXJHig@mail.gmail.com>
To: WAI-ua <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
from http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html

DRAFT -
User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference
04 Aug 2011

See also: IRC log http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-irc
Attendees

Present
    Jim_Allan, Greg, sharper, KimPatch, kford
Regrets
    JanRichards
Chair
    JimAllan, KellyFord
Scribe
    jallan, kford

Contents

    Topics
        need 4 hour writing call - August
        HTML5 bug review
        survey results http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/UAWGjuly22/
    Summary of Action Items

Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to add "The user can choose which if any
author-supplied (1.7.1) and user-supplied (1.7.2) style sheets to
use." as summary for GL 1.7 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action08]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to add "The user can specify speech rate and
volume (1.6.1), pitch and pitch range (1.6.2), and synthesizer speech
characteristics like emphasis (1.6.3) and features like spelling
(1.6.4)." as summary for GL1.6 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to delete 1.9.11 as it is a duplicate of 3.4.1
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to remove 1.9.10, as it is a duplicate of 3.4.1
(see kim) [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to write in draft that 1.11.2 should stay, and
2.5.2 should be removed. they are duplicates. keep the ier for 1.11.2
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to set up meeting with W3C tools like zakim.
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: KF to mail list with details on writing session.
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: to write in draft that 1.11.2 should stay, and 2.5.2
should be removed. they are duplicates. keep the ier for 1.11.2
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Date: 04 August 2011

<JAllan> scribe: jallan

discussion of Universal Design, a11y in the press, etc.

Kudos to Greg for massive HTML5 review!!!

<kford> Scribe: kford
need 4 hour writing call - August

JA: JS back next week. We think we need another writing session. Would
be good if we could schedule this in August.

JA is out on 8/11.

JA: How does August look for people? Maybe 8/18?

SH: Sept is bad because that's the start of the academic year.

Group going to do a four hour writing session on 8/18. Will start at
noon Boston.

<scribe> ACTION: KF to mail list with details on writing session.
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-596 - Mail list with details on writing
session. [on Kelly Ford - due 2011-08-11].

<scribe> ACTION: JS to set up meeting with W3C tools like zakim.
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-597 - Set up meeting with W3C tools like
zakim. [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2011-08-11].

JA: Things we need to workk on are summary statements and finishing IERs.
HTML5 bug review

<Greg> The bugs I submitted, both mine on others assigned to me by the
A11YTF, are at http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&email1=gcl-0039%40access-research.org&emailtype1=exact&emailassigned_to1=1&emailreporter1=1

GL goes over bugs filed.

GL: Several worked very hard for last several days due to the deadlines here.

<JAllan> quick search in bug list shows 182 for a11y
http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=a11y

HTML 5 accessibility task force home page:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/html-task-force

<Greg> The PF wiki page from which bugs were generated is at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Spec_Review/All. It *should* have
all the things migrated from the UA wiki page.

<Greg> That page includes links to the corresponding bugs in the HTML5
Bugzilla database.

<Greg> Everything that does not have a bug number by it was rejected
by the working group.

Group going over experiences in HTML 5 bug filing and such.

KP giving history of something called profnet at start of intenret.

GL: Reminds people that W3C has funding for someone to work on accessibility.
... Clarifies that this is on HTML 5 accessibility.

<Greg> The position is described at
http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Recruitment/#WAIengineer

JA: JR found a list of duplicate issues.
... Kim are you and Jeanne aware of these?

KP: Let us look at this first.

\Group goes over a few examples of dupes.

<Greg> Even though the wording of the SC itself is ambiguous as to
whether it's about perceivable vs. operable, the example given for
1.11.2 is clearly about perceivable, and there is no example for
2.5.2.

<Greg> But the fact that the SC wording is ambiguous is a problem.

<JAllan> ACTION: to write in draft that 1.11.2 should stay, and 2.5.2
should be removed. they are duplicates. keep the ier for 1.11.2
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - to

<JAllan> ACTION: Jeanne to write in draft that 1.11.2 should stay, and
2.5.2 should be removed. they are duplicates. keep the ier for 1.11.2
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-598 - Write in draft that 1.11.2 should
stay, and 2.5.2 should be removed. they are duplicates. keep the ier
for 1.11.2 [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2011-08-11].
survey results http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/UAWGjuly22/

Group determined that 1.9.10 was merged.

<JAllan> ACTION: jeanne to remove 1.9.10, as it is a duplicate of
3.4.1 (see kim) [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-599 - Remove 1.9.10, as it is a duplicate of
3.4.1 (see kim) [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2011-08-11].

Now looking at 1.9.11

This one should also be deleted.

<JAllan> ACTION: Jeanne to delete 1.9.11 as it is a duplicate of 3.4.1
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action06]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-600 - Delete 1.9.11 as it is a duplicate of
3.4.1 [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2011-08-11].

Now looking at summary for GL 1.6

<Greg> The use can specify specify speech rate and volume (1.6.1),
pitch and pitch range (1.6.2), synthesizer speech characteristics like
emphasis (1.6.3) and features like spelling (1.6.4).

<Greg> The user can adjust speech rate and volume (1.6.1), pitch and
pitch range (1.6.2), and synthesizer speech characteristics like
emphasis (1.6.3) and features like spelling (1.6.4).

<Greg> The user can specify speech rate and volume (1.6.1), pitch and
pitch range (1.6.2), and synthesizer speech characteristics like
emphasis (1.6.3) and features like spelling (1.6.4).

Group likes result.

<JAllan> ACTION: jeanne to add "The user can specify speech rate and
volume (1.6.1), pitch and pitch range (1.6.2), and synthesizer speech
characteristics like emphasis (1.6.3) and features like spelling
(1.6.4)." as summary for GL1.6 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action07]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-601 - Add "The user can specify speech rate
and volume (1.6.1), pitch and pitch range (1.6.2), and synthesizer
speech characteristics like emphasis (1.6.3) and features like
spelling (1.6.4)." as summary for GL1.6 [on Jeanne F Spellman - due
2011-08-11].

Now looking at summary for 1.7.

<Greg> First draft: "The user can choose which if any author-supplied
(1.7.1) and user-supplied (1.7.2) style sheets to use."

<JAllan> gl brings up, what if UA only allows user style per page

<JAllan> ja: current UA make it global.

<Greg> I think we should be explicit that the user should be able to
select any number of author- or user-provided style sheets to be
applied to the current page, all pages on the current site, or all
pages viewed in the browser.

<Greg> That is, yes, I'm suggesting we need to change the SC.

<Greg> That last part should say "or all pages viewed in the browser
using this configuration".

<Greg> (Many browsers of course let the user switch between profiles.)

<JAllan> http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-IMPLEMENTING-UAAG20-20110719/#gl-style-sheets-config

<JAllan> discussion of Customize your Web
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/customize-your-web/

<JAllan> and greasemonkey
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/

<Greg> OK, here's a stab but not quite ready yet:

<Greg> 1.7.1 Author Style Sheets: For every author style sheet
defined, the user can choose whether or not it should be applied to
(a) the current page, or (c) all pages for which it is defined

<Greg> 1.7.2 User Style Sheets: For every user style sheet defined,
the user can choose whether or not it should be applied to (a) the
current page, or (b) all pages on the current web site, or (c) all
pages.

<Greg> The one thing missing is, should we address whether it needs to
be applied before or after other style sheets. That is, should the
user style sheet take precedence over author style sheets, even if it
doesn't use !important keyword?

<Greg> That is, where in the cascade should author or user style
sheets be applied when they are not referenced in the page?

<Greg> Kim asks, should that also be user customizable?

<JAllan> also add Stylish for firefox
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/stylish/ and Chrome
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fjnbnpbmkenffdnngjfgmeleoegfcffe

<Greg> We could make it customizable, but do any user agents support it?

<Greg> Jim notes it needs the ability to more explicitly turn off all
author and/or user style sheets globally.

<Greg> 1.7.1 Author Style Sheets: For every author style sheet
defined, the user can choose whether or not it should be applied to
(a) the current page, or (b) all pages for which it is defined, or (c)
turn off all author style sheets.

<Greg> 1.7.1 Author Style Sheets: The user can turn off the use of
author style sheets, and for every author style sheet defined the user
can choose whether or not it should be applied to (a) the current
page, or (b) all pages for which it is defined.

<Greg> 1.7.2 User Style Sheets: The user can turn off the use of user
style sheets, and for every user style sheet defined the user can
choose whether or not it should be applied to (a) the current page, or
(b) all pages on the current web site, or (c) all pages.

<JAllan> ACTION: jeanne to add "The user can choose which if any
author-supplied (1.7.1) and user-supplied (1.7.2) style sheets to
use." as summary for GL 1.7 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/08/04-ua-minutes.html#action08]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-602 - Add "The user can choose which if any
author-supplied (1.7.1) and user-supplied (1.7.2) style sheets to
use." as summary for GL 1.7 [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2011-08-11].


[End of minutes]

-- 
Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator & Webmaster
Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756
voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/
"We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan, 1964
Received on Thursday, 4 August 2011 18:51:27 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 4 August 2011 18:51:27 GMT