W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > January to March 2011

minutes: 10 Mar 2011 UAWG

From: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:32:14 -0600
Message-ID: <AANLkTi=wEs9XZzX_nbFLTTDefJG9qdk1jTenV+nCc=cp@mail.gmail.com>
To: WAI-ua <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
from http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-minutes.html

User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference
10 Mar 2011

See also: IRC log http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-irc
Attendees

Present
    Jim, Jeanne, Greg, Simon, Kelly, Kim
Regrets
    MarkH, KimP, JanR
Chair
    Jim_Allan
Scribe
    kford

Contents

    Topics
        wrap-up Action-503 & Action-504
        503
        504
        501
        Action-491 - Rewrite 1.8.5
        Writing EIR 2.9.3 Execution Placeholder
    Summary of Action Items

<trackbot> Date: 10 March 2011

zakim code?

<scribe> Scribe: kford
wrap-up Action-503 & Action-504

JA: I want to spend a little time on these and then let our reviews discuss.
... I sent to the list. Any read, let's discuss.

<jallan> 503 - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011JanMar/0079.html

<jeanne> 501 - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011JanMar/0078.html

<jallan> 504 - http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011JanMar/0080.html
503

GL: Might be good to arrange intent with a why and then a how.

<Greg> An interesting contrast is that the draft 508 refresh gives the
choice of either allowing the user to prevent or pause autostart
media.

<Greg> I'd also start with Why, then go on to How.

<jeanne> ACTION: Jeanne to post change of 503 to 2.9.2 changing the
"why" to come before the "how". Refer to email
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011JanMar/0079.html
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-515 - Post change of 503 to 2.9.2 changing
the "why" to come before the "how". Refer to email
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011JanMar/0079.html
[on Jeanne Spellman - due 2011-03-17].

JA: Any other issues on 503?

<sharper> There may times -> There may be times

<sharper> 2nd Para intent
504

<sharper> +1

GL: I think most people will not understand the second paragraph about
multilayer rendering.

<Greg> In the W3 technicalese there might be a distinction between
content over a base-canvas image vs. a multi-layer rendering, but it's
not obvious at all.

SH: I think it is good and we can get feedback if people do not understand it.

<Greg> It would be nice to prefix it with a sentence in plain English.

<Greg> In the example, the word "not" is written as "hot".

<jeanne> ACTION: jeanne to update 2.9.1 with text from
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011JanMar/0080.html
and fix typos [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-516 - Update 2.9.1 with text from
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011JanMar/0080.html
and fix typos [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2011-03-17].
501

JA: can we have one SC that talks about toolbar and components instead
of two separate?

SH: I think we should have one.

GL: If we combine they need to be at the same priority and it makes
compliance a bit harder because the failure possibilities are greater.

<Greg> I am concerned about the phrase "from a predefined set", as it
sounds like it could prohibit the user from adding their own custom
controls, and that "configure the position" could be taken as meaning
finely and arbitrarily adjusting the position (as with icons on the OS
X desktop). It seems that what we want to require is that the user
can, at minimum, "add, remove, and reorder the...

<Greg> ...available controls" on a toolbar or similar container.

<jallan> +1 reorder available controls

No objections to add/remove and rreorder

<Greg> Suggest replacing "toolbar, panel, inspector, configuration"
with "toolbars and similar containers".

<jallan> ACTION: jallan to rewrite 1.8.5 using simons stuff, gregs
comments, and include whole toolbars as well as components [recorded
in http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-517 - Rewrite 1.8.5 using simons stuff,
gregs comments, and include whole toolbars as well as components [on
Jim Allan - due 2011-03-17].
Action-491 - Rewrite 1.8.5

JA: I'd like to get some clarification on this one.

I had rewrittent his one because we had discusson about exclusions.

JA: Then we talked about should we require a back button or not?
... Do we want to require a gback button?

GL: Yes.

JS: I'm inclined not to but will go with the group.

SH: Every browser has one.

JS: What about other browsers, media players and more.

<jallan> add where it makes sense to navigate content in sequence

KFord: I'm inclined to say yes on this.

GL: Jeanne on your concern it might be that the back is based on a URI
so a virtual world would be just one URI.
Writing EIR 2.9.3 Execution Placeholder

<jallan> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2011/ED-IMPLEMENTING-UAAG20-20110202/#gl-control-inaccessible-content

<jallan> 2.9.3 (former 4.9.3) Execution Placeholder: The user can
render a placeholder instead of executable content that would normally
be contained within an on-screen area (e.g., Applet, Flash), until
explicit user request to execute. (Level A)

Intent:

Some web content can be very distracting to users with disabilities.
It may disrput attention, move focus or otherwise cause the user to
not be able to interact with a web page effectively.

<Greg> This is similar to being able to stop autoplay media, and so
maybe you can reuse some language from that.

Intent:

Some web content can be very distracting to users with disabilities.
It may disrput attention, move focus or otherwise cause the user to
not be able to interact with a web page effectively.

JA: Are 2.9.2 and 2.9.3 unique enough to be separate?

Group continuing to talk about this question.

JA: Does it matter to me that there's a flash movie sits there with
the first frame with a play button versus requiring that the UA puts
something else in place with a play button.

<Greg> I'd say the three requirements for a placeholder are that (a)
it take up the same space as the thing it's replacing, (b) it informs
the user that there is something waiting for them to start it, and (c)
it is not animated or playing sound.

<Greg> If as Jeanne suggests the user agent may not always know the
size of the media or executable (e.g. it could resize itself when
started), we can omit from the SC and include as a recommended best
practice in the Intent document that the user agent make the
placeholder take up the same space as the item it is replacing, to the
best of its ability.

JA: Any objections to combining these two SC?

None heard.

KP: I like saying it should take the same space it is replacing. How
special case is this? For someone with RSI paing is tedious. If the
user doesn't want to playthe movies, just see the titles it would be
nice if this could e collapsed.

<Greg> Draft: "2.9.2 Media and Execution Placeholders: The user can
have placeholders rendered instead of any time-based media or
executable content that would normally be contained in an on-screen
area (e.g. video, applet, or Flash), until explicit user request.
(Level A)"

<Greg> Then in the Intent we give examples of the placeholder for a
video being the poster attribute for the video or, if none is
provided, the first frame, with an overlayed Play button.

<jallan> discussion of collapsable content, should be up to the author
and good design.

<jallan> 2.9.4 (former 4.9.4) Execution Toggle: The user can turn
on/off the execution of executable content that would not normally be
contained within a particular area (e.g., Javascript). (Level A)

<Greg> Unfortunately my draft had a problem: it fails to address
autoplay audio, which isn't contained in an on-screen area.

JA: Looking at 2.92-4, do we want one global SC here?
... The other SC is that something as a placeholder is rendered.

<jallan> ACTION: jallan to combine 2.9.2-4 into 1 sc with IER
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-518 - Combine 2.9.2-4 into 1 sc with IER [on
Jim Allan - due 2011-03-17].

<Greg> Another draft: "2.9.2 Media and Execution Placeholders: The
user can override the play on load of recognized time-based media and
executable content so that the user the user is informed that
something is paused (e.g. by a placeholder), and the content is not
started until explicit user request. (Level A)"

<Greg> > Another draft: "2.9.2 Media and Execution Placeholders: The
user can override the play on load of recognized time-based media and
executable content so that the user the user is informed that
something is paused (e.g. by a placeholder overlayed with a Play
icon), and the content is not started until explicit user request.
(Level A)"

Group talking about assigning work.

<jallan> ACTION: simon to write IER for 2.7.x as needed [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Sorry, amibiguous username (more than one match) - simon

<trackbot> Try using a different identifier, such as family name or
username (eg. sharper, spieters)

<jallan> ACTION: sharper to write IER for 2.7.x as needed [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-minutes.html#action06]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-519 - Write IER for 2.7.x as needed [on
Simon Harper - due 2011-03-17].
Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: jallan to combine 2.9.2-4 into 1 sc with IER [recorded
in http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: jallan to rewrite 1.8.5 using simons stuff, gregs
comments, and include whole toolbars as well as components [recorded
in http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to post change of 503 to 2.9.2 changing the "why"
to come before the "how". Refer to email
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011JanMar/0079.html
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to update 2.9.1 with text from
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011JanMar/0080.html
and fix typos [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: sharper to write IER for 2.7.x as needed [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: simon to write IER for 2.7.x as needed [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/03/10-ua-minutes.html#action05]

[End of minutes]

-- 
Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator & Webmaster

Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired

1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756

voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/

"We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan, 1964
Received on Thursday, 10 March 2011 19:32:49 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 10 March 2011 19:32:51 GMT