Action-503 rewrite 2.9.2

From: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 15:41:55 -0600
To: WAI-ua <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Proposal:

AutoPlay
2.9.2 Time-Based Media Load-Only:
The user can load time-based media content such that the first frame
is displayed (if video), but the content is not played until explicit
user request. (Level A)

Intent:
As an opt-in user setting, autoplay for media is off/paused, until the
user activates 'play'. Prevent media from playing without explicit
request from the user. For example, Uart, a screen reader user, opens
a page with an audio element that starts playing immediately. The user
cannot hear the screen reader because of the noise from the audio
element, and must search through the page to find the 'noisy' element
to turn it off (or pause). Once the screen reader is the sole source
of audio the user can read the page and determine if the audio is
important and choose to play it.

Examples:
1. Using the same techniques as are used for pop-up blockers, the user
agent checks to see if the play() request was from user interaction or
a background script. If isn't from direct user interaction,  the user
agent could ask the user to explicitly allow the media to play,
perhaps remembering the choice for the site.
2. Playback of a <video> or <audio> element can only be triggered in
response to a user gesture on a touch screen device with no keyboard
(like pop-up blockers). The user agent provides a visual and auditory
indicator that the video is in paused state and needs user interaction
to start.
3. The user agent provides a global control that calls "paused for
user interaction" for all media when a page loads.

Resources:
1. HTML5 4.8.10.8 Playing the media resource
(http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#playing-the-media-resource)

1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756

voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/