UAWG Action item from today

From: Richards, Jan <jrichards@ocad.ca>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:18:21 -0500
To: "w3c-wai-ua@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
BTW: I'm *not* pushing hard for a new SC, we already have a lot. So if someone can see how this is covered elsewhere, that would be great!

New SC: Present Status Information in Proximity:
The user can specify that status information for rendered elements be either incorporated into the rendering or displayed in proximity to the element.

Intent: Users need to be able to discover and make use of status information for elements, which is more difficult if the information is displayed at a distance from the element (e.g., the status bar).

Examples:
(1) Link target: A browser that typically displays the target of a link in the status bar when the link receives focus, includes an option to display the target in an overlay adjacent to the link.
(2) Required field: A browser renders a required form control with an adjacent icon indicating this status, rather than a note in the status bar when the control receives focus.

--
(Mr) Jan Richards, M.Sc.
jrichards@ocad.ca | 416-977-6000 ext. 3957 | fax: 416-977-9844