Re: Properly Handling Simulated Keyboard Input

  Take a look at this utube video explaining the new Google docs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq6l_s5Umbs
from 3:40-4:15
key line at 4:05
I think this explains why the Documents are watching keyboard events at
such a low level. So what's the solution? Is there a way to implement
the very useful instant updates without taking away the very useful
ability to use the keypad for mouseless browsing (or other) control? If
there's no better solution there should at least be a way to toggle.

Cheers,
Kim

On 1/26/2011 7:39 PM, Greg Lowney wrote:
> Hi! Kim Patch pointed this out in our conversation today.
>
> Could and should we craft an SC that would address the following type
> of problem:
>
> When using Firefox with the Mouseless Browsing extension, the user can
> type a number on the numeric keypad to navigate directly to the link
> that the extension has labeled with that number. You can normally use
> Dragon NaturallySpeaking's sendkeys command to activate this
> functionality. However, when viewing the new, updated Google Docs and
> Dragon NaturallySpeaking uses SendKeys in this way, the Mouseless
> Browsing extension correctly detects the (simulated) keystrokes and
> moves the focus to the desired link, but Google Docs ALSO see the
> keystrokes and types that number into the document.
>
> The problem seems to be that the document (Google Docs) is watching
> keyboard events at a low level, before they can be trapped and
> consumed by a browser extension. (That is to say, the extension
> presumably does not pass the keyboard event to further event handlers,
> and so it would not be seen by normal scripts, plug-ins, etc.) This
> one example of ways that software can be incompatible with assistive
> technology that simulates keystrokes, which is of course not limited
> to user agents, extensions, and scripts.
>
>     Greg

Kimberly Patch
President
Redstart Systems, Inc.