RE: UAAG v2 Draft - Review

Note,

Most items here are relative straight forward text edits.  I've used a format of listing the section, the applicable text and either the phrase comment to indicate something that is a basic edit or discussion for something I think warrants some level of discussion.

This reflects review of the intro and guideline 1.

Section: Abstract
Text: Technologies not addressed directly by UAAG 2.0 (e.g., technologies for braille rendering) will be essential to ensuring Web access for some users with disabilities.
Discussion: Delete this.  There are loads of things important to web accessibility.  What's the point of this sentence?

Section: Guideline 1.1 - Alternative Content
Text: Summary: Let users see at a glance which pieces of content have alternatives like alt text or longdesc (1.1.1) and click on an item to see its available
alternatives (1.1.3); they can also choose at least one alternative like alt text to be always displayed (1.1.2), but it's recommended that they also be
able to specify a cascade (1.1.4), like alt text if it's there, otherwise longdesc, otherwise, filename, etc.
Comment: Rewrite as follows
Text: Summary: Allow users to easily determine which pieces of content have alternatives such as  alt text or longdesc (1.1.1) and interact with the text to see the available
alternatives (1.1.3); users can also choose at least one alternative such as alt text to be always displayed (1.1.2), but it's recommended that users also be
able to specify a cascade (1.1.4), such as alt text if it's there, otherwise longdesc, otherwise, filename, etc.

Section: 1.1.4
Text: The user can specify the fallback order in which to render alternative content.
Comment: Fall back should be cascade since that's what we use in the summary.

Section: 1.2
Text: Guideline 1.2 Repair missing content. [
Comment: The link immediately after this says Implementing 3.4).

Section: 1.2
Text: Summary: If the user chooses, provide useful alternative content when the author didn't, such as showing a filename in place of missing (3.4.1) or empty
(3.4.2) alt text.
Comment: Numbers need to be updated to refer to 1.x SC.  Suggest changing didn't to failed to do so in sentence talking about what the author did or did not do.

Section: 1.2.1
Text: The user can specify whether or not the user agent should generate and render repair text  (e.g. file name) when it recognizes that author has not provided alternative content.
Comment: Insert the word the before author.

Section: 1.2.3
Text: The user can specify whether or not the user agent should attempt to predict associations from author-specified presentation attributes (i.e. position and appearance). (Level AAA)
Discussion: I think this SC should be eliminated.  I don't know of any UA that does this and it seems hard to really do.  I know screen readers have tried to get this kind of thing working on the web and in apps and it is a hit/miss result.

Section: 1.2.4
Text: The user can be notified when user user agent cannot render alternative content (e.g. when captions are broken).
Comment: user user agent should be the user agent

Section: 1.3.1
Text: The user can specify that the following be highlighted so that each class is uniquely distinguished. It is not the intention that all recognized enabled elements be uniquely distinguished, just that they be distinguished from disabled elements. The user has the option to highlight the following classes of information so that each is uniquely distinguished.
Discussion: This doesn't flow. I don't have an immediate rewrite but this is hard to follow.  Sentence one and three repeat each other so perhaps deleting sentence one and making sentence three the first sentence is acceptable. Can we think of a better phrase than uniquely distinguished? It just sounds awkward.  Possible rewrite:
The user has the option to highlight the following classes of information so that each is uniquely distinguished. It is not the intention that all recognized enabled elements be uniquely distinguished, just that they be distinguished from disabled elements.

Section: 1.4
Text: Summary: Let users control text font, color, and size (1.4.1), including whether all text should be the shown the same size (1.4.2).
Comment: the shown the should have the first instance of the deleted or just say the same size and eliminate shown.

Section: 1.6
Text: Guideline 1.6 Provide synthesized speech configuration. [
Discussion: We have no summary for this section. Do we want summaries for all sections?

Section: 1.6.2
Text: The user can specify the following for synthesized speech: (Level AA) :
(a) pitch ("pitch" refers to the average frequency of the speaking voice), and
 (b) pitch range ("pitch range" specifies a variation in average frequency),
Discussion: Should these terms be defined in the glossary instead of the SC.  The doc doesn't flow as well with them defined here.

Section: 1.6.3
Text: The user can specify all of the speech characteristics offered by the speech synthesizer. (Level AAA)
Discussion: We have 1.6.4 that follows at AA that talks about specific items that must be configurable for the speech synthesizer.  SC 1.6.3 should likely move after the 1.6.4 that is AA.  Also, do we need to put any clarification that this is only for browsers that do some sort of self-voicing?

Section: 1.7
Text: Guideline 1.7 Provide style sheets configuration. [
Discussion: We have no summary for this section. Do we want summaries for all sections?

Section: 1.8
Text: Guideline 1.8 Help user to use viewports and orient within viewports. [
Discussion: We have no summary for this section. Do we want summaries for all sections?

Section: 1.8
Text: Guideline 1.8 Help user to use viewports and orient within viewports. [
Comment: Suggest this change to Guideline 1.8 Help the user to use and orient within viewports.

Section: 1.9
Discussion: I think this section is supposed to disappear.

Section: 1.10
Discussion: no summary

Section: 1.10.2
Text: 1.10.2Outline View:
Comment: Missing space character between 2 and Outline

Section: 1.10.2
Text: Note: The constitutes the important structural elements by the user (See 1.10.3)>
Discussion: The what?  Something is missing.