W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > April to June 2011

Minutes: 26 May 2011 UAWG telecon

From: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 15:43:34 -0500
Message-ID: <BANLkTikqRWJ_WMYYYWbBm2vNoSrs1ueSXg@mail.gmail.com>
To: WAI-ua <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
- DRAFT -
User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference
from http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html

26 May 2011

See also: IRC log http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-irc
Attendees

Present
    JAllan, Greg, kford, Jeanne, Jan, sharper, Mark_Hakkinen, KimPatch, Judy
Regrets
Chair
    JimAllan, KellyFord
Scribe
    KimPatch

Contents

    Topics
        HTML 5 comments
        Accessibility Issues wiki
-http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/work/wiki/User_Agent_issues_effecting_A11y
        EIR 2.9.6 on wiki
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/work/wiki/Guideline_2.9#2.9.6_Stop.2FPause.2FResume_Time-Based_Media
    Summary of Action Items

Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: Editors to review Issue-86 and look for places where
ARIA roles should be included - including glossary. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Jallan to propose response to comments received to the
group [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: Jallan to work with Jeanne and Kelly to review html5 for
what/s needed for review by the group [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to have Editors review Issue-86 and look for
places where ARIA roles should be included - including glossary.
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to make a survey of Suzanne's proposals (include
existing text) [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: Mark to review document for need to add explicit aria
information [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: MarkH to review document for need to add explicit aria
information [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Date: 26 May 2011

<sharper> \

<JAllan> MH: FF beta has native support for SMIL3

<JAllan> ... anyone have experience or more knowledge of same?

<JAllan> ... SMIL is on FF5. Largest uptake of SMIL is on mobile devices

<JAllan> mh: longdesc, aria. what are the UA responsibilities. The UA
should be processing the information directly and not rely on AT
handling the control and rendering of the information.

<JAllan> mh: if we support keyboard navigation by structure (headings,
lists), should also navigate by aria-roles

<JAllan> ... UAs should reveal aria roles and properties and be
actionable natively

<JAllan> developers should be using getElementby should include name, role, etc.

<JAllan> gl: 2.5.2 keyboard navigation needs to be beefed up to include aria

<JAllan> issue: ensure aria role, state, etc should be in the glossary.

<trackbot> Created ISSUE-86 - Ensure aria role, state, etc should be
in the glossary. ; please complete additional details at
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/tracker/issues/86/edit .

<JAllan> gl: in document when we say role should add (e.g. aria-role)
to make it explicit

<jeanne> ACTION: Editors to review Issue-86 and look for places where
ARIA roles should be included - including glossary. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Editors

<jeanne> ACTION: Jeanne to have Editors review Issue-86 and look for
places where ARIA roles should be included - including glossary.
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-560 - Have Editors review Issue-86 and look
for places where ARIA roles should be included - including glossary.
[on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2011-06-02].

<JAllan> ACTION: MarkH to review document for need to add explicit
aria information [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - MarkH

<JAllan> ACTION: Mark to review document for need to add explicit aria
information [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-561 - Review document for need to add
explicit aria information [on Markku Hakkinen - due 2011-06-02].
HTML 5 comments

js: discussion about whether we as a group want to comment on HTML 5
and logistics

<JAllan> ... comments due first week of august

js: accessibility work discounted quickly in the past, how will the
comments be treated: answer the same comments that do not bring new
use cases will be ignored
... We have to be very use case oriented. This is the current need and
this is how big the need is.

kf: more than a year ago we filed all those bugs, raised issues. are
there major concerns that we want to champion from UAAG perspective
without doing a new review?

js: there are keyboard issues

<JAllan> http://www.w3.org/html/wg/

js: They've broken the thousand page document into 8 documents. We are
probably interested the most in the directions for the browser

<JAllan> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/

<JAllan> wai-aria is included in link above

gl: does somebody have the big list of issues for HTML 5 accessibility
community?

<jeanne> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Work_Topics

js: drag-and-drop, focus were ours -- other people are working on
them. Shortcut keys -- it does look like people are working on that.
... developer stuff was taken out into the markup language document

<JAllan> http://dev.w3.org/html5/markup/

js: our stuff stayed in the main document, content developers stuff split out

gl: sections that say this is how user agent should handle and present
based on this markup -- do they have a general caveat -- is okay for
the user to be able to override the default behaviors in their
personal preference settings?

ja: no -- sometimes they get into a little bit of user interaction but
not as far as setting preferences for what the user agent user is or
does or anything like that

gl: the spec tag says it should always be bold so therefore we can't
let the user say it shouldn't be bold

kf: is there someone in our group who has followed this closely enough
to say this is what we should review and we can figure out how to
divide up

js: I'll do some of it

kf: Kelly, Jim and Jeanne will review and bring back to the group

sh: is there any way we can point to the issues we have already raised
without spending a lot more time

<JAllan> ACTION: Jallan to work with Jeanne and Kelly to review html5
for what/s needed for review by the group [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-562 - Work with Jeanne and Kelly to review
html5 for what/s needed for review by the group [on Jim Allan - due
2011-06-02].

yes I did

ja: American Publishers Association has accessibility working group
and their chair said yes we will review and send out to group, and
they sent comments to the list
... we need to respond to those -- should look at and get our thoughts
together as a group
... interesting, 535 that you could turn accessibility checking on or off
... these are all additions -- I'll take a look and get back to the group

<JAllan> ACTION: Jallan to propose response to comments received to
the group [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action06]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-563 - Propose response to comments received
to the group [on Jim Allan - due 2011-06-02].

gl: some are new, but 531 just a slight change of wording

<jeanne> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2011/ED-UAAG20-20110519/#sc-531

js: I'll turn this into a survey next week. These are mostly proposals

<jeanne> ACTION: jeanne to make a survey of Suzanne's proposals
(include existing text) [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/26-ua-minutes.html#action07]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-564 - Make a survey of Suzanne's proposals
(include existing text) [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2011-06-02].
Accessibility Issues wiki
-http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/work/wiki/User_Agent_issues_effecting_A11y

ja: comments on the wiki. Accessibility page -- Charles added comments
about Opera among other things
... tools/Internet options/advanced and in the accessibility section
there is a checkbox that says enable carry browsing for new windows
and tabs, and if that is turned on, skip to content links work. But
this is not on by default.

caret browsing

gl: keeping track of accessibility bugs: ideally we should have a Web
database where you can generate reports on various fields
... caret browsing I only turn it on when I need to because it makes
scrolling more difficult. I wish there was both -- an ability to move
the keyboard to the content focus but also be able to scroll the
window

kf: you're right, if you turned caret browsing on it works great

ja: Charles added the plug-in trap that IE has always been able to do
and it's been a bug since Firefox 1 and they still can't figure out
how to get a cursor into and back out of an object
... essentially in Firefox it doesn't see objects, it just tabs over
them so if you have a flash movie player unless they have a bunch
JavaScript enabling control it's not part of the DOM or anything else
-- it's nothing as far as the keyboard is concerned

gl: when people to add an entry to this wiki page be sure to remember
to but which version of which browser you've tested on
EIR 2.9.6 on wiki
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/work/wiki/Guideline_2.9#2.9.6_Stop.2FPause.2FResume_Time-Based_Media

<Jan> Idea for second sentence of intent: "Users of screen readers can
experience difficulty when audio within time-based media interferes
with the speech produced by the screen reader."

<JAllan> discussion of play, pause, stop, resume

Judy: I was concerned about what was happening with the accessibility
input and whether the HTML group would be publishing a last call with
the current document. I'm done a deep dive into problems lately. One
thing that's important is that this HTML5 Last Call Working Draft does
not imply that it is feature complete because it's not with regard to
accessibility. we need feedback -- technically sound including use
cases. All of that will be...
... useful from this group particularly coordinating with
accessibility task force. Access key is one of the key concerns.
Coordinating with the HTML A11Y Task Force on missing features and
additional use cases will be useful. We will have the ability to see
the progress that happens. There were a number of working group
process coordination concerns. We got an agreement for an open door to
raise new concerns as they come up. Some also going...
... to be watching that very closely. I have reason to believe that
there will be some improvements so that there is a more level playing
field.
... I'll try to make a point of asking every so often (to make sure
accessibility concerns are being heard)

<JAllan> 4. EIR 2.9.6 on wiki
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/work/wiki/Guideline_2.9#2.9.6_Stop.2FPause.2FResume_Time-Based_Media
[from JAllan]

Judy: it's necessary to comment, people with disabilities need to be
able to use the web of the future and HTML 5 is going to be a big
piece of that. In terms of the practical aspect of getting one's
comments heard well -- they do have a high bar for evidence, precision
in what's submitted. It's going to have to be done well. Our input has
to live up to the high bar. We have to coordinate for...
... that.

<JAllan> zalom, please part


[End of minutes]

-- 
Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator & Webmaster

Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired

1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756

voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/

"We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan, 1964
Received on Thursday, 26 May 2011 20:44:03 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 26 May 2011 20:44:03 GMT