W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > April to June 2011

Minutes UAAG 19 May 2011

From: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 13:42:09 -0500
Message-ID: <BANLkTim44MbUBZjFrBaCLtZ93CUt04Vqqg@mail.gmail.com>
To: WAI-ua <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/19-ua-minutes.html

User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference
19 May 2011

See also: IRC log http://www.w3.org/2011/05/19-ua-irc
Attendees

Present
    Simon, Kim, Jim, Greg, Kelly, Jeanne
Regrets
    Jan, MarkH
Chair
    JimAllan
Scribe
    kford, jallan

Contents

    Topics
        2.7.1 (former 4.7.7) Discover navigation and activation
keystrokes from Simon Harper -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011AprJun/0033.html
        review 1.2.3 Repair Missing Associations: from Simon Harper -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011AprJun/0032.html
    Summary of Action Items

<trackbot> Date: 19 May 2011

<JAllan> zakim close item 2

<kford> trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group
Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 19 May 2011

<kford> http://accessibilitycampseattle.org/blog/

<kford> http://accessibilitycampseattle.org/blog/

<kford> 2.7.1 (former 4.7.7) Discover navigation and activation
keystrokes from Simon Harper -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011AprJun/0033.html

<kford> 1.2.3 Repair Missing Associations: from Simon Harper -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011AprJun/0032.html

<kford> speech input blog. http://blogs.sitepoint.com/html5-speech-input-fields/

<JAllan> http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=html5+speech+input+api&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGLL_en___US426&ie=UTF-8&aq=1&oq=html+5+speech

<JAllan> all, discussion of events, rants, and a11y in html-next

<kford> Scribe: kford
2.7.1 (former 4.7.7) Discover navigation and activation keystrokes
from Simon Harper -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011AprJun/0033.html

<JAllan> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/work/wiki/Keyboard,_Focus,_and_Navigation_Restructuring

GL: I am going to give an overview of the issue that Simon is talking about.

<Greg> 2.7.1 has some overlaps with 2.1.6 and 2.1.7 but there are also
key differences:

<Greg> a) 2.7.1 described by Simon as mouseless browsing, but it's not...

<Greg> b) 2.7.1 talks about programmatic access

<Greg> c) 2.7.1 gives both UI and content Level A (vs. different on 2.1.6/7)

<Greg> 2.7.1 (former 4.7.7) Discover navigation and activation
keystrokes: Direct navigation and activation keystrokes are
discoverable both programmatically and via perceivable labels. (Level
A)

<Greg> 2.1.6 (former 4.1.6) Present Direct Commands in Rendered
Content: The user can have any recognized direct commands (e.g.
accesskey) in rendered content be presented with their associated
elements (e.g. "[Ctrl+t]" displayed after a link whose accesskey value
is "t", or an audio browser reading the value or label of a form
control followed by "accesskey control plus t"). (Level A)

<Greg> 2.1.7 (former 4.1.7) Present Direct Commands in User Interface:
The user has the option to have any direct commands (e.g. keyboard
shortcuts) in the user agent user interface be presented with their
associated user interface controls (e.g. "Ctrl+S" displayed on the
"Save" menu item and toolbar button). (Level AA)

<Greg> In Kim's and my proposal we moved everything relating to direct
navigation and activation into a new guideline, which we numbered 2.3:

<Greg> Guideline 2.3: Provide direct navigation and activation
[includes former 2.1.6, 2.1.7, 2.1.11]

<Greg> * 2.3.1 Direct Navigation to Important Elements [former 2.7.4,
before that 4.7.2, name change] (Level A)

<Greg> * 2.3.2 Direct Activation [former 2.7.6, before that 4.7.5] (Level AA)

<Greg> * 2.3.3 Present Direct Commands in Rendered Content [former
2.1.6, before that 4.1.6, also 2.7.1] (Level A)

<Greg> * 2.3.4 Present Direct Commands in User Interface [former
2.1.7, before that 4.1.7, also 2.7.1] (Level AA)

<Greg> * 2.3.3 User Override of Accesskeys [former 2.1.11, before that 4.1.11]

<JAllan> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/work/wiki/Keyboard,_Focus,_and_Navigation_Restructuring

Group talking about sorting out various proposals on these topics.

<JAllan> simons original proposal in the wiki -
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/work/wiki/Guideline_2.7#Proposed_2.7.1_Discover_navigation_and_activation_keystrokes:

JA: I'm hearing that you want 2.7.1 to go away bgecause it is in 2.3.3
and 2.3.4.
... Do the new 2.3.3 and 2.3.4 cover the mouseless browsing example.

GL: It would be these in conjunction with 2.3.1.

KP: We did change the title but at the time we were doing this, we did
think this would cover this.
... That is mouseless browsing would be covered by 2.3.1.

JA: Are there objections to removing 2.7.1 and just living with 2.3.1,
2.3.3 and 2.3.4.

<JAllan> +1

<sharper> +1

Group consensus seems to be that eliminating 2.7.1 is the way to go.

JS: When moving things around in the wiki, please us numbers like A, B
and such rather than numbers so I know things are being inserted.

Resolved: 2.7.1 to be dropped in favor of 2.3.1, 2.3.3 and 2.3.4

<scribe> ACTION: JS to update document appropriately to eliminate
2.7.1. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/19-ua-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-557 - Update document appropriately to
eliminate 2.7.1. [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2011-05-26].

<JAllan> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/work/wiki/Keyboard,_Focus,_and_Navigation_Restructuring#Related_Resources_for_Success_Criterion_2.1.6_.28former_4.1.6.29:

JA asking gfroup about this text.

Group is good with it.

<jeanne> ACTION: Jeanne to Jeanne with Greg and Kim work together to
renumber the document. Jeanne to add the approved text for 2.2.3 to
the new 2.2.3 SC. (Save existing text to be renumbered) [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/19-ua-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-558 - Jeanne with Greg and Kim work together
to renumber the document. Jeanne to add the approved text for 2.2.3 to
the new 2.2.3 SC. (Save existing text to be renumbered) [on Jeanne F
Spellman - due 2011-05-26].

JA giving overview of group on American Publishers association and an
accessibility effort.

JA: Group going to be reviewing ATAG and UAAG.

GL: RElated to all these off topic discussions we've talked about a
central place for known browser bugs.

<JAllan> something similar to www.quirksmode.org/css/quirksmode.html

<jeanne> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Testing/Requirements

<JAllan> scribe: jallan

sh: IBM Raven,

<sharper> http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/raven

list of UA issues that impact a11y: inpage links, tooltips, longdesc,
accesskeys, generated content

W3 has a working group on JavaScript API, which is a huge a11y issue

action jallan to create a wiki page for list of UA issues that impact
a11y: inpage links, tooltips, longdesc, accesskeys, generated content

<trackbot> Created ACTION-559 - Create a wiki page for list of UA
issues that impact a11y: inpage links, tooltips, longdesc, accesskeys,
generated content [on Jim Allan - due 2011-05-26].
review 1.2.3 Repair Missing Associations: from Simon Harper -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011AprJun/0032.html

http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/work/wiki/Guideline_1.2

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/work/wiki/Guideline_2.7#Proposed_2.7.2_Access_Relationships

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/work/wiki/Guideline_1.11

2.7.2 (former 4.7.3) Access Relationships: The user can access
explicitly-defined relationships based on the user's position in
content (e.g., show form control's label, show label's form control,
show a cell's table headers). (Level A)

1.2.3 Repair Missing Associations: The user can specify whether or not
the user agent should attempt to predict associations from
author-specified presentation attributes (i.e. position and
appearance). (Level AAA)

sh: I did IER for 1.2.3. reviewed UAAG2 and found 2.7.2.
... proposing remove 2.7.2 and replace with 1.2.3

http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2011/ED-IMPLEMENTING-UAAG20-20110428/

KP: these seem different.

sh: prefers 'associations' to 'relationships'

gl: +1

kp: need to be explicit.
Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to Jeanne with Greg and Kim work together to
renumber the document. Jeanne to add the approved text for 2.2.3 to
the new 2.2.3 SC. (Save existing text to be renumbered) [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2011/05/19-ua-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to update document appropriately to eliminate 2.7.1.
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/05/19-ua-minutes.html#action01]

[End of minutes]

-- 
Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator & Webmaster

Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired

1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756

voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/

"We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan, 1964
Received on Thursday, 19 May 2011 18:42:38 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 19 May 2011 18:42:39 GMT