Re: Article: Why Aren’t Tooltips Triggered by The Keyboard?

Greg,

We dealt with this issue in the GNOME desktop - having a way to
show/hide tooltips.  See the Global Keyboard Shortcuts section of the
GNOME Desktop Accessibility Guide, at
http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-access-guide/stable/keynav-3.html.en
Ctrl+F1 will toggle the tooltip display on/off for the focused item (if
it has a tooltip).

Peter

On 12/8/2010 10:47 PM, Greg Lowney wrote:
> Some semi-random thoughts on tooltips:
>
> I hope no one disagrees with the basic premises that one should have a
> keyboard mechanism for displaying the tool tip associated with the
> focus element (either automatically or on request), a way for the user
> to ensure that it's displayed long enough for them to read, a way to
> get rid of it if it's in their way, and a way to prevent them from
> being triggered automatically. (I'm not saying these should all be
> success criteria, nor that this is the complete list, just that
> ideally every product should give the user these capabilities.) It
> would also be nice for the user to be able to toggle the display of
> all tooltips at once, so one can get an overview of the page and more
> easily find the thing they're looking for.
>
> I think it's generally less useful to be able to examine a list of all
> the tooltips associated with a window's content separated from the
> things they're associated with (e.g. a menu, or window with a list
> box), since in many cases the text won't be meaningful without its
> context. Same with the ability to navigate to elements based strictly
> on their tooltips, which might occasionally be useful, but I would not
> think it would be common.
>
> Re below, note that pressing ESC to dismiss the tooltip only works if
> the tooltip itself takes the keyboard focus, as ESC may well have
> another meaning in the current context and we wouldn't want to prevent
> that from working just because--and as long as--a tooltip is displayed.
>
> I notice Microsoft is inconsistent about tooltip timeouts: in Windows
> 7 they time out, but in Office 2003 they don't. Also, it appears the
> default duration for a Windows standard tooltip is 5 seconds, and the
> maximum is 32 seconds, which may not be enough given that they can
> have multiple lines of text, a title, and an icon.
>
> Interestingly, tooltips are the one piece of text that neither mouse
> nor keyboard users can select and copy to the clipboard. One could
> imagine context menu items to display an item's tooltip and to copy
> its tooltip text to the clipboard, although I'm not sure it would
> prove useful very often.
>
> If the capability to search based on text attributes as well as
> visible text (e.g. finding images whose alt text includes the search
> string) than this should ideally also work with tooltip text. This is
> easy when they're defined using the title attribute, but in some cases
> they're created dynamically when triggered. In cases where a page has
> a lot of dynamic tooltips, it would probably be prohibitively slow to
> generate all of them just so they can be searched.

Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Peter Korn | Accessibility Principal
Phone: +1 650 5069522 <tel:+1%20650%205069522>
500 Oracle Parkway | Redwood City, CA 94065