W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > October to December 2010

User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference 21 Oct 2010

From: Simon Harper <simon.harper@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 19:43:33 +0100
Message-ID: <4CC089D5.1010006@manchester.ac.uk>
To: UAWG list <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
See also: IRC log: http://www.w3.org/2010/10/21-ua-irc
HTML Minutes: http://www.w3.org/2010/10/21-ua-minutes.html
Attendees

Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: hakkinen and jallan to discuss EVD2 & 3 - add to IER to 
4.9 SC or create new SC, also review CC2,3,4 [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/10/21-ua-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: jallan to add google instant information to the IER for 
2.1.2 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/10/21-ua-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: jallan to group issues to be dealt with by the group 
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/10/21-ua-minutes.html#action03]



Present
     jallan, Greg, Jan, Kim_Patch, sharper, Jeanne, Hakkinen_Mark, 
Harper_Simon, Allan_James, Spellman_Jeanne, Patch_Kim, Lowney_Greg, 
Richards_Jan
Regrets
     KFord, PLauke
Chair
     JAllan
Scribe
     Harper_Simon

Contents

     * Topics
          1. Google Instant 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2010OctDec/0023.html
          2. Media Review followup - possible additions to UAAG 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2010OctDec/0002.html
          3. November F2F -assigning sections, review outstanding 
issues/actions needs, emails, pseudo-actions, etc
     * Summary of Action Items

<trackbot> Date: 21 October 2010

<scribe> scribe: Harper_Simon

<scribe> ScribeNick: sharper

<JAllan> http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20019864-264.html

<mhakkinen> 
http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2010-October/028818.html
Google Instant 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2010OctDec/0023.html

<Greg> I had two thoughts on Google Instant: (a) User needs to be able 
to disable it, along with all other non-user-requested changes (side 
effects); (b) When the UA begins and ends any update, how is the user 
notified through the UI and AT notified programmatically?

Do we have this kind of Auto Suggest List in the UI covered

<Greg> Interesting to consider the idea of an "auto-suggested" attribute 
on content, so that AT can special-case how it's handled. 
(Auto-suggested text would presumably also be selected, but is a special 
case of selected text.)

JA: How should this indicate something new has appeared?

<Greg> That would be a new attribute for acessibility API for 
communicating content to assistive technology.

GL: don't we already say users should turn off non-user initiated side 
effects...

JA: isn't this turn off unwanted messages

<Greg> So in many ways this is really just a special case of the general 
situation where content or UI changes and the UA has to expose this 
programmatically through accessibility API so that the AT can decide 
whether and how to notify the user, highlight the changes, etc.

JA: This would be covered by a change of state discussed in 2.1.2

MH: I'd say that it would fail 2.1.2

JA: Is it covered or do we need something new?

<Greg> From the user's perspective, as it should be conveyed through 
standard-control equivalences to assistive technology, the input box is 
in fact a drop-down combo-box, and when the user starts typing the 
drop-down list portion is changed from hidden to displayed. It should 
not matter that it's implemented as a table or what, as long as the 
appropriate equivalence is exposed.

All: Covered in 2.1.2

RESOLUTION: Google Instant 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2010OctDec/0023.html 
covered in 2.1.2

<Greg> When using a platform accessibility API such as MSAA, one can 
represent a complex set of controls as equivalent to a single control 
such as a drop-down combobox, including noting state changes such as the 
drop-down portion becoming hidden or visible, changes to focus and 
selection within the drop-down list portion, etc. Does ARIA allow 
exposing at this complex, functional level as well?

JA: Some of this should go in the IER for 2.2

GL: Will ask this to the PF list as they do ARIA.

<JAllan> ACTION: jallan to add google instant information to the IER for 
2.1.2 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/10/21-ua-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-459 - Add google instant information to the 
IER for 2.1.2 [on Jim Allan - due 2010-10-28].

SH: If its configurable on/off then it conforms to our guidelines.

<JAllan> 2.1.2 Name, Role, State, Value, Description: For all user 
interface components including user interface, rendered content, 
generated content, and alternative content, make available the name, 
role, state, value, and description via a platform accessibility 
architecture.

<Greg> Something to look into: do we need to change 2.1 to explicitly 
discuss notifying AT about element creation and destruction, as well as 
state changes that are covered by 2.1.6, etc.
Media Review followup - possible additions to UAAG 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2010OctDec/0002.html

JA: JS and KF where present

JS: PF has a media subgroup - made list of requirements in video 
accessibility in HTML5 - sent to us for comments

<JAllan> see 
http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/index.php?title=Media_Accessibility_Checklist 
for the draft

JS: extensive comments and responses - in the UAAG guidelines and if we 
covered it
... Also a comp list of everything we wanted to consider
... Lets take these one at a time

<JAllan> DV-11 Support the simultaneous playback of both the described 
and non-described audio tracks so that one may be directed at separate 
outputs (e.g., a speaker and headphones).

<JAllan> possible AAA

JA: we need to take a look at the 3 or 4 things we may need a success 
criteria for - and re-evaluate

Discussion re CC and the terms used such as 'gapless cues'

GL: seems like the UA should just implement them appropriately based on 
the spec if they exist on it

MH: if they are rendered by JScript then it is WCAG if it is browser 
based in the case of say HTML5 then it may be us

<Greg> Questioned why CC-2 is a + while CC-3 is a N/A--seems they're 
very parallel.

EVD 2 and 3

JA: have to do with extended descriptions - lets you pause and restart - 
if not part of the HTML5 spec then UA wont be done natively - if QT is a 
n agent and say smile allows it then it should do it

MH: is this an author req or is it UA responsibility
... is really about ua allows overrides for smile pausing video based on 
extend descriptions

JR: turning it on and off is really what we're talking about here

JA: we have 4.9.8 re track manipulation - this would cover it, would't it

<Greg> Perhaps this is a special case of a general rule that the user 
should be able to override any author settings that would interrupt the 
normal playing of the primary track, rather than having a success 
criteria about this for extended video descriptions.

<JAllan> ACTION: hakkinen and jallan to discuss EVD2 & 3 - add to IER to 
4.9 SC or create new SC, also review CC2,3,4 [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/10/21-ua-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-460 - And jallan to discuss EVD2 & 3 - add to 
IER to 4.9 SC or create new SC, also review CC2,3,4 [on Markku Hakkinen 
- due 2010-10-28].
November F2F -assigning sections, review outstanding issues/actions 
needs, emails, pseudo-actions, etc

JA: When we say something's done we indicate this and don't touch it again

<JAllan> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2010/ED-UAAG20-20101018/

JA: new edits marked in the new draft in bright red - some things didn't 
get action items - but need to be done
... can we assign sections over the next few weeks to review emails and 
minutes to see if anything fell of the radar and problems of us getting 
them done
... items not formalised - and need to be

JS: we can do this at the F2F or before...
... Save time if things that we have been involved in it would help to 
know if resolved

<JAllan> ACTION: jallan to group issues to be dealt with by the group 
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/10/21-ua-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-461 - Group issues to be dealt with by the 
group [on Jim Allan - due 2010-10-28].

[End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 21 October 2010 18:44:24 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 21 October 2010 18:44:25 GMT