Re: "Upshot" summaries of first ten guidelines

On Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:46:50 +0200, Greg Lowney
<gcl-0039@access-research.org> wrote:

>   Kim Patch and I have written "upshot", or plain language summaries of
> the first ten guidelines

Nice.

> Personally, I'd like to eventually see such plain language summaries at
> all three levels: principles, guidelines, and success criteria; we can
> separately decide which levels we want to publish, and in which
> documents.

Actually success criteria really need to be in plain language already, I
think. If you can write an upshot for a success criterion, you should
replace the text...

>     Guideline 1.1 Ensure that non-Web-based functionality is accessible.

I would like to see "ensure that X is Y" replaced by "Make X Y" in general.

>     Guideline 1.2 Ensure that Web-based functionality is accessible.
>
> Upshot: When the browser's menus, buttons, dialogs, etc. are authoredin
> HTML or similar standards,

How about "using Web technology (e.g. HTML, javascript, etc)" ?

> they need to meet W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.

>     Guideline 1.4 Render content according to specification.
>
> Upshot: Render content according to the technology specification,

Since this a repeat of the guideline text it suggests that text is good.

Instead I would suggest beginning "In aprticular make sure you implement
the specification's accessibility features..."

> including accessibility features (1.4.1), and let users choose how
> content types are handled, such as opening embedded images, videos, or
> documents in separate applications or saving them to disk (1.4.2, 1.4.3).

>     Guideline 3.4 Repair missing content.
>
> Upshot: If the user chooses, provide useful alternative content when the

s/If the user chooses, provide/Let the user choose to see/ ?

> author didn't, such as showing a filename in place of missing (3.4.1) or
> empty (3.4.2) alt text.

>     Guideline 5.3 Document the user agent user interface including all
> accessibility features.

I think this is pretty self-explanatory already.

>     Guideline 5.4 The user agent must behave in a predictable fashion.

Ditto.

cheers

Chaals