W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > January to March 2010

User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference 28 Jan 2010

From: Simon Harper <simon.harper@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:45:20 +0000
Message-ID: <4B61E950.1070509@manchester.ac.uk>
To: UAWG list <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
W3C
- DRAFT -
User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference
28 Jan 2010

HTML Version: http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2010JanMar/0032.html
See also: IRC log http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-irc

Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: jallan to craft request for input on synthesized speech 
inclusion in the document [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to check document to change any use of "element" 
referring to the user interface, to change it to "component" [recorded 
in http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to contact Voice Browser Working Group to see if 
they have covered our accessibility issues and if they have leads for 
our CR implementations [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to create a diff document compared to the last WD 
(july) and send it to the list. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to fix numbering in the implementing document. 
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to answer comment saying that we think section 3.6.1 
covers the comment. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to search document for consistency of use of "element" 
so that it only applies to the structure of the content and not the user 
interface. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to update the definition of Enabled element and 
disabled element [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action08]


Attendees

Present
allanj, kford, sharper, Greg, Jeanne, Bim, Ford_Kelly, Allan_James, 
Harper_Simon, Lowney_Greg, Spellman_Jeanne, Egan_Bim
Regrets
Hakkinen_Mark, Richards_Jan, Patch_Kim, Swan_Henny, Lauke_Patrick
Chair
Ford_Kelly, Allan_James
Scribe
Harper_Simon

Contents

* Topics
1. Logistics (Regrets, agenda requests, comments)?
2. Editor's draft and publication prep  What changes have we made? What 
areas do we want feedback on? Group comes up with details and Jeanne 
will write.
3. Discuss the remaining proposals from survey - 
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100112/
4. http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100112/results#xq2
5. http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100127/results#xq2
6. Review Action Items - http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/tracker/actions/open
7. F2F - 2/24-26  attendance survey 
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100119/
* Summary of Action Items

<trackbot> Date: 28 January 2010

trackbot, start meeting

<trackbot> Meeting: User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group 
Teleconference

<trackbot> Date: 28 January 2010

<scribe> Meeting: User Agent Teleconference for 28 January 2010

Date: Thursday, 28 January 2010

<scribe> scribe: Harper_Simon

<scribe> ScribeNick: sharper
Logistics (Regrets, agenda requests, comments)?

Mailing List: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2010JanMar/

Open Action Items: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/tracker/actions/open

Open Issues: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/tracker/issues/open

Current Editors Draft: http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2010/ED-UAAG20-20100105/

Current Techniques Document: 
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2009/ED-IMPLEMENTING-UAAG20-20091106/

member: rrsagent, draft minutes

all: General Discussion

JA: Generally an AT thing

BE: Doesn't recognise if just Dublin Core

GL: Does UAAG 2.0 draft have other self voicing aspects - if so then 
this would be OK
... not sure if we should

JA: 3.7 id one and also Provise Speech Synth Config
... Also ways of speaking - would only apply if claiming self voicing 
conformance

<kford> /me testing.

<AllanJ> SH: what about kiosks, self -voicing, speech generated on the 
server

SH: www.webanywhere.co.uk
... oops: http://webanywhere.cs.washington.edu/wa.php

JA: do we have a need to speech synth configuration

GL: Are orgs working on web browsing via telephone
... should we come back and review all these self voicing aspects?
... We should get input on this - at the next draft
... don't see any harm - but most wont care

JA: this is really the special case - Synth config is the only AT part 
we really address.

BE: Magnification is covered in the zoom facility

<kford> /me need to step out for one minute. I'd go for feedback.

<kford> /me I am back. sorry.

<Greg> Wikipedia entry on Voice Browsers, 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_browser, includes a link to the W3C 
Voice Browser Working Group - http://www.w3.org/Voice/

<jeanne> ACTION: jeanne to contact Voice Browser Working Group to see if 
they have covered our accessibility issues and if they have leads for 
our CR implementations [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-267 - Contact Voice Browser Working Group to 
see if they have covered our accessibility issues and if they have leads 
for our CR implementations [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-02-04].

<Greg> We can ask W3C Voice Browser Working Group to help us identify 
the two example user agents we need to cite in order to include success 
criteria for such products.

<AllanJ> ACTION: jallan to craft request for input on synthesized speech 
inclusion in the document [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-268 - Craft request for input on synthesized 
speech inclusion in the document [on Jim Allan - due 2010-02-04].

All: General discussion of the technical feasibility and requirements of 
the requests contained within the email.

<jeanne> http://www.w3.org/Voice/

RESOLUTION: By ACTIONS 267 and 268 - wait to reply to Guillaume Olivrin 
until actions complete, and we know what 'Voice' is doing.

<AllanJ> 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-uaag2-comments/2009Aug/att-0000/00-part

<AllanJ> "UAs should not pair a user-selected foreground or background 
text-color with an author-selected foreground or background text-color."

GL: Don't we have this already

JA: Revisits 3.6

3.6.1 Configure Text: The user can globally set the following 
characteristics of visually rendered text content, overriding any 
specified by the author or user agent defaults (Level A):

* (a) text scale (i.e., the general size of text) ,

* (b) font family, and

* (c) text color (i.e., foreground and background).

3.6.2 Preserve Distinctions: When rendered text is rescaled, 
distinctions in the size of rendered text are preserved (e.g., headers 
continue to be larger than body text). (Level A)

3.6.3 Option Range: The range of options for each text characteristic 
includes at least (Level A):

* (a) the range offered by global preference settings supported by the 
operating environment (i.e configured though the Control Panel or 
System) utility, or

* (b) if no such utility is available, the range supported by the 
conventional APIs of the operating environment for drawing text.

3.6.4 Maintain contrast: The user has the option to constrain the 
configuration of the default text foreground color, background color and 
highlighting colors, so that text contrast is maintained between them. 
(Level AAA)

JA: seems to be covered by 3.6.1

GL: Could be the 'too big a hammer' - they maybe suggesting that they 
don't want turn off the colours

JA: 3.6.1 reflects current practice
... I think we have this covered

GL: maybe make this an explicit example in the implementation guidelines

RESOLUTION: JS to send them email stating that we think that 3.6.1 
reflects current practice, asking them to elaborate if required.

<jeanne> ACTION: JS to answer comment saying that we think section 3.6.1 
covers the comment. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-269 - Answer comment saying that we think 
section 3.6.1 covers the comment. [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-02-04].
Editor's draft and publication prep  What changes have we made? What 
areas do we want feedback on? Group comes up with details and Jeanne 
will write.

<AllanJ> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2010/ED-UAAG20-20100125/

JS: runs through changes she has identified.

<jeanne> Is the format of the new support document, Implementing UAAG 
2.0, useful to browser, media player, and other user agent designers, 
developers and project managers; AT vendors; and policy makers? Is 
additional information required for it to be useful?

<jeanne> Is the language for the tests determining a user agent clear 
and understandable? Are the test conditions of a user agent complete?

<jeanne> Should the UAAG 2.0 include guidance for self-voicing user 
agents that provide their own audio interface?

JS: this last in relation to Agenda Item 3
... running through items that may have changed and soliciting comments 
/ issues from the group

<jeanne> ACTION: jeanne to create a diff document compared to the last 
WD (july) and send it to the list. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-270 - Create a diff document compared to the 
last WD (july) and send it to the list. [on Jeanne Spellman - due 
2010-02-04].

<jeanne> ACTION: jeanne to fix numbering in the implementing document. 
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-271 - Fix numbering in the implementing 
document. [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-02-04].

RESOLUTION: Locking Down Jan 25th Draft - Create Changes Compared to 
this - move along based on ACTIONS 270 and 271
Discuss the remaining proposals from survey - 
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100112/

http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100112/results
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100112/results#xq2

RESOLUTION: Postponed as both people who have issues have sent regrets 
for today.

<AllanJ> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100127/

topic Move to next Survey: 
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100127/results

<AllanJ> discussion of element for technology specific (xml, html) vs 
generic 'element' for interface items, flash tag, dom node, etc.

<AllanJ> SH: 'element' should be a generic term that applies to content 
(html, flash, etc.)

<AllanJ> SH: need a different term for elements in the user interface

JA: Anyone have a problem with element used to represent cross-tech 
structure

JA what will we call the things in the UA Interface

<jeanne> ACTION: JS to search document for consistency of use of 
"element" so that it only applies to the structure of the content and 
not the user interface. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action06]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-272 - Search document for consistency of use 
of "element" so that it only applies to the structure of the content and 
not the user interface. [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-02-04].

BE: can we use the term component to signify part of the interface
... Making this more explicit in the glossary

JA: looks good as we already use this

<jeanne> ACTION: jeanne to check document to change any use of "element" 
referring to the user interface, to change it to "component" [recorded 
in http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action07]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-273 - Check document to change any use of 
"element" referring to the user interface, to change it to "component" 
[on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-02-04].

GL: standardise element to always say 'in the rendered content' - as a 
qualifier

RESOLUTION: Via ACTIONS 272 and 273
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100127/results#xq2

GL: same is true of the disabled element
... occurs as an alternative to enabled element
... Defn for this could be removed as well

SH: remove the term interactive and teh hyperlink

<AllanJ> enabled element, disabled element

<AllanJ> An element with associated behaviors that can be activated 
through the user interface or through an API. The set of elements that a 
user agent enables is generally derived from, but is not limited to, the 
set of elements defined by implemented markup languages. A disabled 
element is a potentially enabled element, that is not currently 
available for activation (e.g., a "grayed out" menu item).

RESOLUTION: Change to element - as interactive element is only used 
within the glossary - not the normative text.

<jeanne> ACTION: JS to update the definition of Enabled element and 
disabled element [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action08]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-274 - Update the definition of Enabled element 
and disabled element [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-02-04].
Review Action Items - http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/tracker/actions/open

RESOLUTION: Leave until Next Week.
F2F - 2/24-26  attendance survey 
http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100119/

RESOLUTION: No Time for this Item - Bump to next Week.
Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: jallan to craft request for input on synthesized speech 
inclusion in the document [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to check document to change any use of "element" 
referring to the user interface, to change it to "component" [recorded 
in http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to contact Voice Browser Working Group to see if 
they have covered our accessibility issues and if they have leads for 
our CR implementations [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to create a diff document compared to the last WD 
(july) and send it to the list. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to fix numbering in the implementing document. 
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to answer comment saying that we think section 3.6.1 
covers the comment. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to search document for consistency of use of "element" 
so that it only applies to the structure of the content and not the user 
interface. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to update the definition of Enabled element and 
disabled element [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2010/01/28-ua-minutes.html#action08]

[End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 28 January 2010 19:45:51 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 28 January 2010 19:45:52 GMT