RE: for the Survey too

From: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 11:44:05 -0500
To: <simon.harper@manchester.ac.uk>, "'UAWG list'" <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
> So I next propose we change:
>
> *4.7.y 3.3.1 Access Relationships: *Provide access to explicitly-defined
> relationships based on the user's position in content (e.g., show form
control's
> label, show label's form control, show a cell's table headers, etc.).
(Level A)

> 4.7.1 Access to Relationships which Aid Navigation: Provide access to
> explicitly-defined relationships based on the user's position in content,
and
> the path of nodes leading from the root of any content hierarchy to that
> position, thereby aiding structured navigation by enhancing a users
> comprehension of their position (e.g., show form control's label, show
label's
> form control, show a cell's table headers,
> etc.).   (Level A)

The language " thereby aiding structured navigation by enhancing a user's
comprehension of their position" seems to be more 'intent' language and
would fit better in the Implementation document.

Was going to suggest a rewrite:
4.7.1 Access to Relationships which Aid Navigation: Provide access to
explicitly-defined relationships based on the user's position in content and
the path of nodes leading from the root of any content hierarchy to that
position (e.g., show form control's label, show label's form control, show a
cell's table headers, etc.).   (Level A)

After a bit of thinking...this seems to be two Success criteria. The first
part, is the original ...
" Provide access to explicitly-defined relationships based on the user's
position in content" this is a 1-to-1 explicit relationship (for form
controls) or a many-to-1 relationship (for table headers).

The second part (with a bit of word-smithing)
" Provide access to the path of nodes leading from the root of any content
hierarchy to the user's position in content"
I have no doubt that the UA can provide this path. To me it seems like a
crumb-trail from the body element to the position in content. I am looking
for a specific use case for the need for this information. Can you provide
one?

Critical to this being useful to an end user will be the presentation of the
information so it makes sense. JAWS has something like this, where it tells
the user in extreme detail their position on a page. Is the intent of this
Success criteria to provide the JAWS type of information to the user?

Jim