W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > April to June 2010

minutes User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference 06 May 2010

From: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 13:39:30 -0500
To: "'UAWG list'" <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Message-ID: <115601caed4b$76ba2040$642e60c0$@edu>
- DRAFT -
User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference
06 May 2010

See also: IRC log http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-irc
Attendees

Present
    Jim, Kelly, Greg, Jeanne, Simon, Mark, Kim
Regrets
Chair
    Jim_Allan
Scribe
    greg, KFord

Contents

    * Topics
         1. inviting Chrome to meeting
         2. HTML 5 and the user agent
         3. 4.7.x Location in Hierarchy
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2010AprJun/0021.html
         4. Reminder about mail to list for action items - please include
action item numbers
    * Summary of Action Items

<trackbot> Date: 06 May 2010

<AllanJ> scribe: greg

As Simon reported in email, a representative from Chrome is willing to
participate but has a conflict during our scheduled conference calls.
inviting Chrome to meeting

The Chrome representative is Jonas Klink, who is based out of California.

Discussion of possibility of rescheduling our conference calls to
accommodate Jonas.
HTML 5 and the user agent

Jim reports that the HTML5 Accessibility Task Force had a lot of discussion
about what user agents do and might do.

Email from Mark and Jim to the task force got a lot of discussion going.

Some people on the task force do not understand the inherent problem of many
authors creating custom controls, rather than using standardized controls
inherent in the browser.

We need to provide them with good use cases demonstrating the importance of
keyboard access.

Kim described speech input users who use assistive technology that does
input as a keyboard emulator rather than through an accessibility API.

This approach of keyboard emulation uses of existing knowledge, keeps a
common language, etc.

W3 is holding a brainstorming session where papers are presented and
discussed. One is coming up on keyboard access, and Judy Brewer suggested
WAI being involved.

Kim submitted a proposal to present on real-world use cases.

These would be centered around speech input users.

The topic of the meeting is "W3C Workshop on conversational applications,
use cases and requirements for new models of human language to support
mobile conversational systems".

<AllanJ> W3C Workshop on Conversational Applications
http://www.w3.org/2010/02/convapps/cfp

There is also another workshop coming up on augmented reality.

<kford> Wow! Can I have that one?

Simon reports that Jonas Klink of Chrome will join our conference call on
May 20.

<kford> /me Simon ask him if the AT support update is out by chance?

<kford> Agend item next week, prep for Chrome visit on 5/20.
4.7.x Location in Hierarchy
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2010AprJun/0021.html

<AllanJ> related to action-338

<AllanJ> also related to action-345

Simon says it was ACTION-345 which refers to the original number of 3.3.2

<AllanJ> gl: what is the plan for moving forward on this

<mhakkinen> ,y mute button is broke

<mhakkinen> touch screen phone

<mhakkinen> !!!!!

Simon notes there were many responses on the survey and in email.

Decision was made in April to move 3.3.2 to 4.7; now Simon's is a draft
rewrite.

<AllanJ> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20100406/

<AllanJ> discussion of ANSI and ISO, 4.7.x is unique, the concept it
represents does not exist in ANSI, ISO

Greg noted that this is an example of something new, with no equivalents in
ISO 9241-171 and ANSI 200.2.

Simon notes the person in charge of interaction domain says decentralized
accessibility is important and will move forward, contrary to earlier
indications.

<kford> Scribe: KFord

Simon: We need to mitigate against this decentralized accessibility is to
make relationship explicit to the access technology.

MH: Sounds like a perfect case for ARIA.
... I think ARIA is implied by the fact that the content needs to provide
basic role and description info.
... This is either by using an existing element or if you are using
somethinng new adding ARIA.
... I agree this needs to be explicit and made clear in the techniques.

JA: Simon it sounds like you are asking for a JavaScript API to communicate
with the accessibility API.
... Head spinning on implications of some of this.

<sharper> http://www.w3.org/2010/Talks/0430-www2010-plh/decen.html

Simon: I think we need some space in the agenda to brain storm and think
about all of this.

JA and JS talking about getting people from this space to talk. JS to take
point.

<jeanne> ACTION: jeanne to talk to Dave Raggett and/or PLH about speaking to
UAWG on Decentralized Extensibility to help us craft success criteria for
this. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-383 - Talk to Dave Raggett and/or PLH about
speaking to UAWG on Decentralized Extensibility to help us craft success
criteria for this. [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-05-13].

Group talks more about this issue and what it means.

<AllanJ> whatever the author does somehow the roles, states, models, etc
must be made explicit to the accessibility api

<mhakkinen> +q

JA: This seems like XML but people don't want to write XML.

ack

MH: I think back to something we did in daisy. The key is that someone,
ideally the origianl author, has to provide human readable labels for this.

<AllanJ> need extensible ARIA

JA: ARIA happens in the browser right?

MH: Yes.

<AllanJ> the author creates some new tag and behaviour, the author should be
made to write aria extension, so the proper information is written to the
accessibility API

Group talking more about implications here.

<AllanJ> ACTION: ja to review extensible aria, decentralized extensibility
and guidleline 2 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-384 - Review extensible aria, decentralized
extensibility and guidleline 2 [on Jim Allan - due 2010-05-13].

zakim agenda ?
Reminder about mail to list for action items - please include action item
numbers

JA reminds about syntax to send to list for actions.

<AllanJ> ACTION: Jeanne to add item to survey - simon propose wording for
4.7x (formerly 3.3.2) 4.7.x Location in Hierarchy: The user can view the
path of nodes leading [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-385 - Add item to survey - simon propose wording
for 4.7x (formerly 3.3.2) 4.7.x Location in Hierarchy: The user can view the
path of nodes leading [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-05-13].

<AllanJ> from the root of any content hierarchy in which the structure and

<AllanJ> semantics are implied by presentation, as opposed to an explicit
logical

<AllanJ> structure with defined semantics (such as the HTML5 Canvas
Element), or

<AllanJ> as a consequence of decentralized-extensibility (such as the HTML5
item

<AllanJ> / itemprop microdtata elements), and only if the user agent keeps
an

<AllanJ> internal model of the hierarchy which it does not expose via the
DOM or

<AllanJ> some other accessibility mechanism. (Level A).

<AllanJ> ACTION: jeanne to add item to survey moving 3.3.1 to 4.7y [recorded
in http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-386 - Add item to survey moving 3.3.1 to 4.7y [on
Jeanne Spellman - due 2010-05-13].
Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: ja to review extensible aria, decentralized extensibility and
guidleline 2 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to add item to survey - simon propose wording for 4.7x
(formerly 3.3.2) 4.7.x Location in Hierarchy: The user can view the path of
nodes leading [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to add item to survey moving 3.3.1 to 4.7y [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne to talk to Dave Raggett and/or PLH about speaking to
UAWG on Decentralized Extensibility to help us craft success criteria for
this. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2010/05/06-ua-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]

Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator & Webmaster
Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756
voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/
"We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan, 1964
Received on Thursday, 6 May 2010 18:35:44 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 6 May 2010 18:35:45 GMT