FW: contrast in video

From: Geoff Freed [mailto:geoff_freed@wgbh.org]
Sent: Thursday, April 22, 2010 1:47 PM
To: jimallan@tsbvi.edu
Cc: Madeleine Rothberg
Subject: Re: contrast in video

hi, jim:

i'm unaware of a formal color/contrast settings specifically for video
accessibility (analogous to the ratios set for web pages and images). i'm
adding madeleine, however, because she may know something.  madeleine?

giving the user a wide latitude of adjustment would certainly be useful but
setting a strict level might be hard since video is, by nature, a moving
target and so color and contrast are always changing.  while it's true
computers and monitors allow users to set contrast and brightness levels,
some OS settings for contrast affect video as well:  for example, when you
change contrast settings on the mac using the accessibility panel, it
affects video as well.  this is *not* the case on windows, however (at least
not on XP).

g.