The UA Definition Again...

From: Simon Harper <simon.harper@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 17:34:47 +0100
To: UAWG list <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Hi there,

For the survey...

I'm trying to sort out the user agent wording.

We'd agreed on parts 1 and 2 (Jim was finishing wordsmithing on 2.2
with regard to the wording for presentation within the bounds of the
primary UA).

The stumbling block was on part 3.3 thus:

If the following three conditions are met then it is a Generated User
Agent (with inaccessible interface) and Must Conform to UAAG:

1) If the user interface is generated by the interpretation of either
a procedural or declarative language; and
2) If this interpretation is by a Primary User Agent, User Agent
Extension or Plug-In; and
3) If user interaction is not passed to and from the Primary User
Agent, User Agent Extension or Plug-In, or if user interaction does
not modify the Document Object Model of its containing document.

Now it seems that from my mail:

It is possible to capture keystrokes and not pass them on AND
make changes to the DOM without forcing a DOMMutationEvent.

I now want to get this sorted so I can move on to my other 2
(dependant) action items. So I'd like to make another proposal for
part 3, thus:

If the following two conditions are met then it is a Web-based User
Agent and Must Conform to UAAG:

1) If the user interface is generated as part of, or using, any w3c
specified technology; and
2) If the generated interface, intentionally or unintentionally,
hides its interaction from the technology used to generate it.

1) this means if the interface is created from web content (even if
code used for generating the interface only has hooks into html, such
as JavaScript etc); and
2) if input is consumed or output hidden from the DOM Updating
procedures of the Primary UA or Extension / Plug in.

Simon Harper
University of Manchester (UK)

Human Centred Web Lab: http://hcw.cs.manchester.ac.uk

My Site: http://hcw.cs.manchester.ac.uk/people/harper/