W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > October to December 2008

Minutes of the UAWG Teleconference of 04th Dec 2008

From: Simon Harper <simon.harper@manchester.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 19:39:16 +0000
Message-Id: <07844565-F956-4527-AAA0-0CE9343285D3@manchester.ac.uk>
To: UAWG list <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>

User Agent Working Group

04 Dec 2008


Minutes: http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html

IRC Log: http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-irc

Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: ALL -- send JS contact info if you have people you  
think would want to be on such a review list [recorded in http:// 
www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to update 2.1.3 to If a feature is not supported  
by the accessibility architecture(s), provide an equivalent feature  
that does support the accessibility architecture(s). Document the  
equivalent feature in the conformance claim. [recorded in http:// 
www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to update 2.1.6 to be 2.1.6 Properties: If any  
of the following properties are supported by the accessibility  
platform architecture, make the properties available to the  
accessibility platform architecture: [recorded in http://www.w3.org/ 
2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne update 2.1.7 to Timely Communication: For APIs  
implemented to satisfy the requirements of this document, ensure that  
programmatic exchanges proceed at a rate such that users do not  
perceive a delay [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua- 
minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne update draft for 3.2.2 (new 3.1.2) Level A 3.2.2  
Rendering Alternatives (Minimum): Provide the user with the global  
option to set which type of alternative to render by default. If the  
alternative content has a different height and/or width, then the  
user agent will reflow the viewport. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/ 
2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne update draft to include new item 3.2.x (new  
3.1.x) Level AA 3.2.x Rendering Alternative (Enhanced): Provide the  
user with the global option to configure a cascade of types of  
alternatives to render by default, in case a prefered type is  
unavailable. If the alternative content has a different height and/or  
width, then the user agent will reflow the viewport. [recorded in  
http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Jim to send list of status updates to Jeanne [recorded  
in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action08]
[NEW] ACTION: JS & JB starting building push list for review of UAAG  
(and ATAG) drafts [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua- 
minutes.html#action06]

Attendees

Present
Allan_James, Harper_Simon, Ford_Kelly, Richards_Jan, jeanne, Judy
Regrets
alan_cantor
Chair
Jim Allan
Scribe
Harper_Simon
Contents

Topics
Regrets, agenda requests, comments?
Discussion of Proposed Rewording of 3.2.2
Proposal to reword 2.1.6
Proposal to reword 2.1.7
Discussion around 2.1.3
Review Survey Items http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/
Review Action Item status http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/tracker/actions/open
Brainstorm - who to contact for "request for comments" on next published
Freeze document for draft publication.
Summary of Action Items




<scribe> scribe: Harper_Simon
<scribe> ScribeNick: sharper
draft week of 15 December
Regrets, agenda requests, comments?

<JR> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20081202/results
Discussion of Proposed Rewording of 3.2.2

Discussion of Jan's rewording
Jeanne requested 'accordingly' to be removed
All fine with both changes
AllanJ: Only problem is with 'AA' what do we mean by cascade?
<AllanJ> ACTION: Jeanne update draft for 3.2.2 (new 3.1.2) Level A  
3.2.2 Rendering Alternatives (Minimum): Provide the user with the  
global option to set which type of alternative to render by default.  
If the alternative content has a different height and/or width, then  
the user agent will reflow the viewport. [recorded in http:// 
www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action01]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-92 - Update draft for 3.2.2 (new 3.1.2)  
Level A 3.2.2 Rendering Alternatives (Minimum): Provide the user with  
the global option to set which type of alternative to render by  
default. If the alternative content has a different height and/or  
width, then the user agent will reflow the viewport. [on Jeanne  
Spellman - due 2008-12-11].
<AllanJ> ACTION: Jeanne update draft to include new item 3.2.x (new  
3.1.x) Level AA 3.2.x Rendering Alternative (Enhanced): Provide the  
user with the global option to configure a cascade of types of  
alternatives to render by default, in case a prefered type is  
unavailable. If the alternative content has a different height and/or  
width, then the user agent will reflow the viewport. [recorded in  
http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action02]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-93 - Update draft to include new item 3.2.x  
(new 3.1.x) Level AA 3.2.x Rendering Alternative (Enhanced): Provide  
the user with the global option to configure a cascade of types of  
alternatives to render by default, in case a prefered type is  
unavailable. If the alternative content has a different height and/or  
width, then the user agent will reflow the viewport. [on Jeanne  
Spellman - due 2008-12-11].
Proposal to reword 2.1.6

AllanJ: from - 2.1.6 Properties: If any of the following properties  
are supported by the accessibility platform architecture, they must  
be made available via the architecture:
... to - If any of the following properties are supported by the  
accessibility platform architecture, make the properties available  
via [or "to"??] the accessibility platform architecture:
... Discussion of change from to or via
<AllanJ> Issue: resolve "to" and
<trackbot> Created ISSUE-25 - Resolve \"to\" and ; please complete  
additional details at http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/tracker/issues/25/edit .
JR: Happy to take 'to' although 'via' implys a correct outcome from  
the API
sharper: is it not up to the AT? how can the user agent enforce this?
All: Agreed to resolve to 'to'.
<AllanJ> ACTION: Jeanne to update 2.1.6 to be 2.1.6 Properties: If  
any of the following properties are supported by the accessibility  
platform architecture, make the properties available to the  
accessibility platform architecture: [recorded in http://www.w3.org/ 
2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action03]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-94 - Update 2.1.6 to be 2.1.6 Properties:  
If any of the following properties are supported by the accessibility  
platform architecture, make the properties available to the  
accessibility platform architecture: [on Jeanne Spellman - due  
2008-12-11].
<AllanJ> (a) the bounding dimensions and coordinates of rendered  
graphical objects
<AllanJ> (b) font family of text
<AllanJ> (c) font size of text
<AllanJ> (d) foreground color of text
<AllanJ> (e) background color of text
<AllanJ> (f) change state/value notifications
Proposal to reword 2.1.7

old - 2.1.7 Timely Communication: For APIs implemented to satisfy the  
requirements of this document, programmatic exchanges proceed in a  
timely manner (Level AA).
<scribe> new - Timely Communication: For APIs implemented to satisfy  
the requirements of this document, ensure that programmatic exchanges  
proceed in a timely manner (Level AA)
results: 2 accepts, Questions: why AA, Timely is not testable.
Ford_Kelly: Maybe say ' is consistent with other applications which  
support the application architecture' ? But still not testable.
JR: Timely is common sense - would a regular human notice?
AllanJ: Is that anymore testable than timely.
Ford_Kelly: would change vote to accept (for now) if we gave examples  
of what we wanted to happen.
<JR> JR: programmatic exchanges proceed at a rate such that typical  
users do not perceive a lag
<JR> JR: programmatic exchanges proceed at a rate such that users do  
not perceive a delay
All: Discussion around this phrasing
<AllanJ> Timely Communication: For APIs implemented to satisfy the  
requirements of this document, ensure that programmatic exchanges  
proceed at a rate such that users do not perceive a delay
All: Looks good seems cleaner
Ford_Kelly: Let's put it in and await responses.
All: Agreed
<AllanJ> ACTION: Jeanne update 2.1.7 to Timely Communication: For  
APIs implemented to satisfy the requirements of this document, ensure  
that programmatic exchanges proceed at a rate such that users do not  
perceive a delay [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua- 
minutes.html#action04]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-95 - Update 2.1.7 to Timely Communication:  
For APIs implemented to satisfy the requirements of this document,  
ensure that programmatic exchanges proceed at a rate such that users  
do not perceive a delay [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2008-12-11].
Kelly_Ford: extra Item
Discussion around 2.1.3

<JR> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008OctDec/0065.html
<AllanJ> Original:
<AllanJ> 2.1.3 Accessible Alternative: If any functionality is not  
supported by the implemented accessibility platform architecture(s),  
then a separate accessible
<AllanJ> alternative for that functionality that is supported by the  
implemented accessibility platform architecture(s) is provided and a  
description of the inaccessible
<AllanJ> functionality appears in the conformance claim.
<AllanJ> Proposed:
<AllanJ> 2.1.3 Accessible Alternative: If functionality exists that  
is not supported by the accessibility architecture(s) used by the  
user agent, alternative functionality that does support the  
accessibility architecture and provides equivalent functionality must  
be implemented. Such alternatives must be documented in the user  
agent conformance claim.
<AllanJ> JR: need to define accessibility architecture
<AllanJ> ..."such arlternatives" should be changed to 'the situations'
<AllanJ> SH: won't this lead to many alternatives
<AllanJ> KF: User Agent says I support MSAA or UIA. but, the browser  
comes up with some new feature that is not supported in the platform  
architecture
<AllanJ> ...developer needs to rewrite or create some work around and  
document it
<AllanJ> SH: this is more understandable than 2.1.3
<AllanJ> KF: 2.1.3 says basically if all else fails provide an  
accessible alternative.
<AllanJ> SH: current language seems too complex for concept we are  
aming for
All: Discussion around this phrasing and Wordsmithing
<JR> If a feature is not supported by the accessibility architecture 
(s) used by the user agent, provide an equivalent feature does  
support the accessibility architecture.
<JR> If a feature is not supported by the accessibility architecture 
(s) used by the user agent, provide an equivalent feature that does  
support the accessibility architecture(s).
<JR> accessibility architecture(s).
<JR> If a feature is not supported by the accessibility architecture 
(s), provide an equivalent feature that does support the  
accessibility architecture(s).
<JR> If a feature is not supported by the accessibility architecture 
(s), provide an equivalent feature that does support the  
accessibility architecture(s) and document the equivalence in the  
conformance claim.
<JR> If a feature is not supported by the accessibility architecture 
(s), provide an equivalent feature that does support the  
accessibility architecture(s). Document the equivalent feature in the  
conformance claim.
AllanJ: lets try to break this
... How do we call attention to the equivalence in the interface?
<AllanJ> how does the user know to use this equivalent feature
<JR> JA: 5.3.2...documenting success criteria
<JR> SH: Yes can go there
<AllanJ> ACTION: Jeanne to update 2.1.3 to If a feature is not  
supported by the accessibility architecture(s), provide an equivalent  
feature that does support the accessibility architecture(s). Document  
the equivalent feature in the conformance claim. [recorded in http:// 
www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action05]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-96 - Update 2.1.3 to If a feature is not  
supported by the accessibility architecture(s), provide an equivalent  
feature that does support the accessibility architecture(s). Document  
the equivalent feature in the conformance claim. [on Jeanne Spellman  
- due 2008-12-11].
<AllanJ> all, agree to new wording
Review Survey Items http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/

Review Action Item status http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/tracker/actions/open

<jeanne> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2008/WD-UAAG20-20081118/
Brainstorm - who to contact for "request for comments" on next published

All: General discussion as to who could be approached regarding  
feedback.
<JR> +1
<judy> ACTION: JS & JB starting building push list for review of UAAG  
(and ATAG) drafts [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua- 
minutes.html#action06]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-97 - & JB starting building push list for  
review of UAAG (and ATAG) drafts [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2008-12-11].
<judy> ACTION: ALL -- send JS contact info if you have people you  
think would want to be on such a review list [recorded in http:// 
www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action07]
<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - ALL
Freeze document for draft publication.

AlanJ: Intended Publication date is W/C 15th Dec
<AllanJ> ACTION: Jim to send list of status updates to Jeanne  
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action08]
<trackbot> Created ACTION-98 - Send list of status updates to Jeanne  
[on Jim Allan - due 2008-12-11].
All: clarification of Freeze date - today minus anything to update  
today.
Summary of Action Items

[NEW] ACTION: ALL -- send JS contact info if you have people you  
think would want to be on such a review list [recorded in http:// 
www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to update 2.1.3 to If a feature is not supported  
by the accessibility architecture(s), provide an equivalent feature  
that does support the accessibility architecture(s). Document the  
equivalent feature in the conformance claim. [recorded in http:// 
www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to update 2.1.6 to be 2.1.6 Properties: If any  
of the following properties are supported by the accessibility  
platform architecture, make the properties available to the  
accessibility platform architecture: [recorded in http://www.w3.org/ 
2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne update 2.1.7 to Timely Communication: For APIs  
implemented to satisfy the requirements of this document, ensure that  
programmatic exchanges proceed at a rate such that users do not  
perceive a delay [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua- 
minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne update draft for 3.2.2 (new 3.1.2) Level A 3.2.2  
Rendering Alternatives (Minimum): Provide the user with the global  
option to set which type of alternative to render by default. If the  
alternative content has a different height and/or width, then the  
user agent will reflow the viewport. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/ 
2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne update draft to include new item 3.2.x (new  
3.1.x) Level AA 3.2.x Rendering Alternative (Enhanced): Provide the  
user with the global option to configure a cascade of types of  
alternatives to render by default, in case a prefered type is  
unavailable. If the alternative content has a different height and/or  
width, then the user agent will reflow the viewport. [recorded in  
http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: Jim to send list of status updates to Jeanne [recorded  
in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html#action08]
[NEW] ACTION: JS & JB starting building push list for review of UAAG  
(and ATAG) drafts [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua- 
minutes.html#action06]

[End of minutes]


Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl version 1.133 (CVS log)
$Date: 2008/12/04 19:34:02 $


Scribe.perl diagnostic output

[Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.133  of Date: 2008/01/18 18:48:51
Check for newer version at http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/ 
scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Found Scribe: Harper_Simon
Found ScribeNick: sharper
Default Present: +1.425.894.aaaa, allanj, Jan, sharper, jeanne, Judy,  
Ford_Kelly
Present: Allan_James Harper_Simon Ford_Kelly Richards_Jan jeanne Judy
Regrets: alan_cantor
Agenda: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008OctDec/ 
0061.html
Got date from IRC log name: 04 Dec 2008
Guessing minutes URL: http://www.w3.org/2008/12/04-ua-minutes.html
People with action items: -- 2.1.7 all contact draft have if info  
jeanne jim js people send think update want would you

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.


[End of scribe.perl diagnostic output]
Received on Thursday, 4 December 2008 19:39:58 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:52:05 GMT