W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > October to December 2008

Minutes UAWG telecom October 30, 2008

From: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:08:45 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Message-ID: <06ba01c93acb$51193b70$f34bb250$@edu>

Minutes: http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html
Irc log: http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-irc

Minutes below: note Mark has only 1 action - took 5 times for trackbot to
find him

WAI_UA
30 Oct 2008

Agenda

See also: IRC log
Attendees

Present
    Jim, Judy, Alan, Kelly, Jan, Jeanne
Regrets
    Mark, Simon
Chair
    Jim, Judy
Scribe
    KFord

Contents

    * Topics
         1. Use of surveys in meetings
         2. Finishing principle 4, action items 30 and 33.
         3. Stem/handle consistency
    * Summary of Action Items

 

 

<Alan> Testing...

<scribe> Scribe: KFord

JB: Can we talk about group members and such.

JB reviewing active group members.

JB: Thinks someone from Opera, and RNIB may be interested. And perhaps two
more.

<scribe> ACTION: JA to follow up with contacts from RNIB and Opera on
membership. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-60 - Follow up with contacts from RNIB and Opera
on participation. [on Jim Allan - due 2008-11-06].

JB: Everyone who was at tech planning meeting please remember other
interested folks and establish appropriate contacts.

<jeanne> ACTION: JS to check with contacts at TPAC for new members [recorded
in http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-61 - Check with contacts at TPAC for new members
[on Jeanne Spellman - due 2008-11-06].
Use of surveys in meetings

JA: I thought there might be a way each person can take care of items but I
think there needs to be a gatekeepoer and that will probably have to be
Jeanne.

JS: Other groups do funnel through one person. Once you setup a survey,
folks with appropriate access can edit surveys. It is easiest if I do it
because I know I have the appropriate access.

J

JB: WCAG has a unique survey format, partly because of the number of issues
they were putting through.
... Further explanation of process, quite complex, we probably don'tneed
something that complicated.
... If we use a process where surveys go out a few days ahead, you get a
quick list where you can quickly scan and see where folks agree and then
focus on areas of question/disagreement more easily.

JA: If we are going to use this survey, this would mean action items need to
be in to JS by Monday.

JB: Is this reasonable? It gives two days to complete action items.

JS: I think so.

general agreement with this.

KF: What does Monday really mean?

JS: This really means to me by 8A eastern on Tuesday mornings.

<AllanJ> additional contact at TPAC was with HTML video person, sent Mark
contact information, and issues. I should approach her about participation.

JA discusses another possible contact.
Finishing principle 4, action items 30 and 33.

<AllanJ> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008OctDec/0035.html

JA: 4.1.7 was keyboard navigation.

4.1.1 was inter-group navigation.

JA reads items.

JA: At F2F we agreed these should all be combined.

<jeanne> 4.1.7 Keyboard Navigation: The user can navigate from group to
group of

<jeanne> focusable items and use the keyboard to traverse forwards and
backwards all

<jeanne> of the focusable items within each group. Groups include but are
not limited

<jeanne> to toolbars, panels, and user agent extensions. Level AA

<jeanne> 4.1.7 Keyboard Navigation: The user can use the keyboard to
navigate from group to group of focusable items and to traverse forwards and
backwards all of the focusable items within each group. Groups include but
are not limited to toolbars, panels, and user agent extensions. Level AA

some discussion about language and specific wording of structure for all
guidelines.

JA: We have talked about this but should decide about what the stems for
each guideline should look like.

<jeanne> +1

JA: Can we all live with the new 4.7?

Group agrees.

<jeanne> ACTION: JS to update draft with new text for 4.7 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-62 - Update draft with new text for 4.7 [on Jeanne
Spellman - due 2008-11-06].

<jeanne> trackbot, close action-30

<trackbot> ACTION-30 Combine 4.1.7 and 4.1.11 sequential and among group
navigation closed

trackbot close action 30

<AllanJ> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008OctDec/0036.html

JA reads old and new wordings.

<AllanJ> <new>

<AllanJ> 4.6.2 Bi-Directional: The user has the option of searching forward
or

<AllanJ> backward from any selected or focused location in content. (Level
AA)@@NEW@@

<AllanJ> </new>

<AllanJ> Note: removed (in document order), seems redundant. My thinking
is...the

<AllanJ> rendered view and DOM tree is created from the HTML. Searching in
any

<AllanJ> direction will move through the DOM tree and content in the
appropriate

<AllanJ> direction as necessary. To go in some arbitrary order would be more
work for

<AllanJ> the developers and they are unlikely to do that. The author may
have created

<AllanJ> the HTML in one order and repositioned elements using CSS or
JavaScript. The

<AllanJ> UA cannot guess at intentions or know how elements are assembled
visually

<AllanJ> via CSS. The simplest way to search would be the order in which
information

<AllanJ> appears in the HTML and the subsequent DOM tree.

<jeanne> +1

<AllanJ> +1

<jeanne> ACTION:JS to update draft with new text for 4.6.2 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action04]

group agrees to wording of 4.6.2.

trackbot, close action-33

<trackbot> ACTION-33 Create a proposal for rewording of 4.6.2 closed

<AllanJ> current draft:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2008/WD-UAAG20-20081022/WD-UAAG20-20081022.html

JB: I'm assuming we didn't complete all the reviews of the document for
things like organization and our other areas. Do we want to use time to
continue that process?
Stem/handle consistency

Some discussion about has this area been thought about?

JB: W3C has thought about this but has no overall policy.

JR: ATAG has gone to the WCAG style. Each statement is a declarative

statement.

JB Starting with a verb is more comprehensible.

Alan, the verb is more inline with what we are trying to do.

<mth> i am wrapping another call, will join with voice soon.

JR: /me can someone scribe for one second, I need to step out for about one
minute.

Much discussion about whether starting with a verb is correct.

<AllanJ>
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2008/WD-UAAG20-20081022/WD-UAAG20-20081022.html

JA: I think we need to start by agreeing on what the format of the
stem/shandles should be?

Alan: What I was commenting on was after the title.

<jeanne> +1

JA: Do we have agreement that the stems should all be noun phrases?

JB: Proposing we come back to this.
... Let's talk about the syntax after the stems.

<AllanJ> proposal: make available the name, role, state, value, and
description for all user interface components including the user interface
and rendered content via an accessibility platform architecture

<Alan> For all user interface components -- including the user interface and
rendered content -- make available the name, role, state, value, and
description via an accessibility platform architecture.

<judy> For all user interface components including the user interface and
rendered content, make available the name, role, state, value, and
description via an accessibility platform architecture.

<AllanJ> above is 2.1.2

<JR> If any functionality is not supported by the implemented accessibility
platform architecture(s), then provide a separate accessible alternative for
that functionality that is supported by the implemented accessibility
platform architecture(s) and provide a description of the inaccessible
functionality appears in the conformance claim.

<JR> If any functionality is not supported by the implemented accessibility
platform architecture(s), then provide a separate accessible alternative for
that functionality that is supported by the implemented accessibility
platform architecture(s) and provide a description of the inaccessible
functionality in the conformance claim.

<JR> If any functionality is not supported by the implemented accessibility
platform architecture(s), provide a separate accessible alternative for that
functionality that is supported by the implemented accessibility platform
architecture(s) and provide a description of the inaccessible functionality
in the conformance claim.

<JR> If any functionality is not supported by the implemented accessibility
platform architecture(s), provide a separate accessible alternative for that
functionality that is supported by the implemented accessibility platform
architecture(s) and describe the inaccessible functionality in the
conformance claim.

Orrsagent, make minutes

<Alan> If the user agent implements one or more DOMs, make them
programmatically available to assistive technologies.

<AllanJ> > If the user agent implements one or more DOMs, make the
programmatically available to assistive technologies.

<AllanJ> > If the user agent implements one or more DOMs, make the DOMS
programmatically available to assistive technologies.

<AllanJ> above is 2.14

<Alan> If the user can modify the state or value of a piece of content
through the user interface (e.g., by checking a box or editing a text area),
make the same degree of write access available programmatically.

<AllanJ> JR above with 4 versions...they are all 2.1.3 - use the last
version

<AllanJ> Alan above ... "if the user can modify..." is 2.1.5

<AllanJ> If the user can modify the state or value of a piece of content
through the user interface (e.g., by checking a box or editing a text area)
allow programatically modify the same state or value

<AllanJ> If the user can modify the state or value of a piece of content
through the user interface (e.g., by checking a box or editing a text area)
allow programatic modification of the same state or value.

<AllanJ> above is 2.1.5

<AllanJ> ACTION: MTH to rewrite 2.1.5 to be active voice with condtionals at
the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - MTH

<AllanJ> ACTION: Mark to rewrite 2.1.5 to be active voice with condtionals
at the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action06]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Mark

<AllanJ> ACTION: Mark_Hakkenin to rewrite 2.1.5 to be active voice with
condtionals at the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action07]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Mark_Hakkenin

<AllanJ> ACTION: Mark_Hakkinen to rewrite 2.1.5 to be active voice with
condtionals at the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action08]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - Mark_Hakkinen

<AllanJ> ACTION: Alan to rewrite 2.1.6 to be active voice with condtionals
at the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action09]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-63 - Rewrite 2.1.6 to be active voice with
condtionals at the beginning [on Alan Cantor - due 2008-11-06].

<AllanJ> ACTION: Alan to rewrite 2.1.7 to be active voice with condtionals
at the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action10]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-64 - Rewrite 2.1.7 to be active voice with
condtionals at the beginning [on Alan Cantor - due 2008-11-06].

<Alan> Done.

<Alan> Bye!

<Alan> exit

<AllanJ> ACTION: Kelly to rewrite 3.1.1 to be active voice with condtionals
at the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action11]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-65 - Rewrite 3.1.1 to be active voice with
condtionals at the beginning [on Kelly Ford - due 2008-11-06].

<AllanJ> ACTION: Markku to rewrite 2.1.5 to be active voice with condtionals
at the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action12]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-66 - Rewrite 2.1.5 to be active voice with
condtionals at the beginning [on Markku Hakkinen - due 2008-11-06].

<AllanJ> ACTION: Jim to post 'final' versions of 2.1.2 - 2.1.4 to Jeanne for
inclusion in survey for next meeting [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action13]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-67 - Post 'final' versions of 2.1.2 - 2.1.4 to
Jeanne for inclusion in survey for next meeting [on Jim Allan - due
2008-11-06].

<AllanJ> ACTION: Jeanne to create survey for next meeting for final versions
of 2.1.2 - 2.1.4 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action14]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-68 - Create survey for next meeting for final
versions of 2.1.2 - 2.1.4 [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2008-11-06].
Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: Alan to rewrite 2.1.6 to be active voice with condtionals at
the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action09]
[NEW] ACTION: Alan to rewrite 2.1.7 to be active voice with condtionals at
the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action10]
[NEW] ACTION: JA to follow up with contacts from RNIB and Opera on
membership. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne to create survey for next meeting for final versions of
2.1.2 - 2.1.4 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action14]
[NEW] ACTION: Jim to post 'final' versions of 2.1.2 - 2.1.4 to Jeanne for
inclusion in survey for next meeting [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action13]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to check with contacts at TPAC for new members [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to update draft with new text for 4.6.2 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to update draft with new text for 4.7 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: Kelly to rewrite 3.1.1 to be active voice with condtionals at
the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action11]
[NEW] ACTION: Mark to rewrite 2.1.5 to be active voice with condtionals at
the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: Mark_Hakkenin to rewrite 2.1.5 to be active voice with
condtionals at the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: Mark_Hakkinen to rewrite 2.1.5 to be active voice with
condtionals at the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action08]
[NEW] ACTION: Markku to rewrite 2.1.5 to be active voice with condtionals at
the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action12]
[NEW] ACTION: MTH to rewrite 2.1.5 to be active voice with condtionals at
the beginning [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/10/30-ua-minutes.html#action05]


Jim Allan, Accessibility Coordinator & Webmaster
Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756
voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/
"We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan, 1964
Received on Thursday, 30 October 2008 20:11:15 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:52:05 GMT