UAWG Action Item: Compatibility review of UAAG 2.0 draft

From: Jan Richards <jan.richards@utoronto.ca>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:33:38 -0400
To: WAI-UA list <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>

I had an action item to review the UAAG 2.0 draft from the perspective
of compatibility (with the other WAI guidelines):

With ATAG 2.0

In general, ATAG2 has Part A for accessibility of its UI (its "chrome"
and its rendering of content) and Part B for author support features. I
still wonder if UAAG2 could do something similar and split its UI from
its content interpretation aspects.

PRINCIPLE 1. Follow applicable specifications and conventions
- 1.1 might benefit by being made more general like ATAG A.1.2
- for Web-based user agents - maybe consider adapting ATAG A.1.1
- (so I can imagine breaking PRINCIPLE 1 into two parts...1) software
accessibility guidelines and 2) web content accessibility features.

PRINCIPLE 2. Facilitate access by assistive technologies
- Not in ATAG2. I wonder how much of this could be brought together into
something simpler (e.g. A.1.2 in this older version of ATAG2

PRINCIPLE 3. Ensure that the user interface is perceivable
- More detailed than ATAG2 but important stuff.

PRINCIPLE 4. Ensure that the user interface is operable
- Very similar to ATAG2 A.3 ("Editing views must be operable")
- Harmonization should be straightforward.

Principle 5: Ensure that user interface is understandable
- Very similar to ATAG2 A.4 with the addition of 5.1 Help users avoid
unnecessary messages.

Jan Richards, M.Sc.
User Interface Design Lead
Adaptive Technology Resource Centre (ATRC)
Faculty of Information (i-school)
University of Toronto

   Email: jan.richards@utoronto.ca
   Web:   http://jan.atrc.utoronto.ca