W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > April to June 2008

Re: Proposal for SC 4.1.10

From: Dean Hudson <dhudson@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:26:33 -0700
To: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Message-Id: <95CD3294-89CA-408E-8ED3-C959E8B60976@apple.com>
Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org

works for me.

On Jun 18, 2008, at 1:20 PM, Jim Allan wrote:

> Dean,
> Good point. Always a problem when trying to make a SC do too much.
> Perhaps splitting it would be better.
>
> <old Jim proposal>4.1.10 User Override any Binding: The user can  
> override
> any binding that is part of the user agent default input configuration
> except for conventional bindings for the operating environment  
> (e.g., for
> access to help). The user can override any author supplied content
> keybinding (i.e. access key) that the user agent can *recognize*. The
> keyboard combinations offered for rebinding include single key and  
> key plus
> modifier keys if these are available in the operating environment.
> </old Jim proposal>
>
> Splitting them reverts 4.1.10 to its original state before I added  
> the new
> line about user override.
>
> <original>4.1.10 User Override any Binding: The user can override any
> binding that is part of the user agent default input configuration  
> except
> for conventional bindings for the operating environment (e.g., for  
> access to
> help). The keyboard combinations offered for rebinding include  
> single key
> and key plus modifier keys if these are available in the operating
> environment.
> </original>
>
> <new>
> The user can override any author supplied content keybinding (i.e.  
> access
> key) that the user agent can *recognize*.
> </new>
>
> Note: *recognize* is a defined term. With AJAX and other scripting  
> authors
> can create keybindings of which the UA is unaware and has no ability  
> to
> allow the user to reassign keybindings. See SC 4.1.5
>
> Recognize - http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-UAAG20-20080312/#def- 
> recognize
>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Dean Hudson [mailto:dhudson@apple.com]
>> Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:54 PM
>> To: Jim Allan
>> Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
>> Subject: Re: Proposal for SC 4.1.10
>>
>>
>> On Jun 18, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Jim Allan wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> SC 4.1.10 to include override of author supplied bindings that the
>>> user
>>> agent can *recognize*. Override of author bindings is not included
>>> in the
>>> current SC. We have discussed it several times, but never acted.
>>> UAAG20 SC 4.1.10
>>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-UAAG20-20080312/#principle-operable
>>>
>>> <old>
>>> 4.1.10 User Override any Binding: The user can override any binding
>>> that is
>>> part of the user agent default input configuration except for
>>> conventional
>>> bindings for the operating environment (e.g., for access to help).  
>>> The
>>> keyboard combinations offered for rebinding include single key and
>>> key plus
>>> modifier keys if these are available in the operating environment.
>>> </old>
>>>
>>> <proposed>
>>> 4.1.10 User Override any Binding: The user can override any binding
>>> that is
>>> part of the user agent default input configuration except for
>>> conventional
>>> bindings for the operating environment (e.g., for access to help).
>>> The user
>>> can override any author supplied content keybinding (i.e. access
>>> key) that
>>> the user agent can *recognize*. The keyboard combinations offered  
>>> for
>>> rebinding include single key and key plus modifier keys if these are
>>> available in the operating environment.
>>>
>> Jim, not sure why this would include single key commands.  Can an
>> author define single key bindings?  I'd expect that any single keys
>> other than tab/return, would be automatically sent to a text area on
>> the page, or ignored by the user agent.
>>
>>> Note: *recognize* is a defined term. With AJAX and other scripting
>>> authors
>>> can create keybindings of which the UA is unaware and has no ability
>>> to
>>> allow the user to reassign keybindings. See SC 4.1.5
>>>
>>> Recognize - http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-UAAG20-20080312/#def-
>>> recognize
>>>
>>> Jim Allan, Webmaster & Statewide Technical Support Specialist
>>> Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
>>> 1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756
>>> voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/
>>> "We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan,  
>>> 1964
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
>
Received on Wednesday, 18 June 2008 20:28:43 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:51:57 GMT