W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > April to June 2008

Re: Minutes from User Agent Teleconference for 29 May 2008

From: Jan Richards <jan.richards@utoronto.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 15:37:45 -0400
Message-ID: <483F0609.5010408@utoronto.ca>
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org

My updated printing proposal:

(1) We remove "pieces of paper" from the definition of "viewport"

(2) Add a new success criteria for "Guideline 3.11 Help user to use and 
orient within viewports":

SC: 3.11.X Print Scale: If a print from viewport feature is provided,
the user has the option of specifying that the current viewport scale 
settings be used. The user agent must attempt to *passively reflow* the 
content into the paper dimensions, as appropriate to the language. Any 
overflowing content must be printed on additional sheets of paper.

The definition of "passively reflow" is at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0117.html

Cheers,
Jan






Jan Richards wrote:
> 
> Minutes:
> http://www.w3.org/2008/05/29-ua-minutes.html
> 
> Actions:
> 
> ACTION: JS Add "Flow" to glossary
> 
> ACTION: JR to Edit 
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0072.html to 
> remove "horizontal"
> 
> ACTION: JA will go through UAAG2 and look at places concerned with 
> revealing alternates
> 
> Full Text:
> Printing in a user agent
> JA: No commenting yet on succes criteia...
> ... Then some work on "passive reflow"
> 
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0117.html
> 
> And the SC: 
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0072.html
> 
> DH: Defintion of flow looks fine
> 
> <scribe> ACTION: JS Add "Flow" to glossary [recorded in 
> http://www.w3.org/2008/05/29-ua-minutes.html#action01]
> 
> JA: OK on to the printing success criteria
> 
> <scribe> ACTION: JR to Edit 
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0072.html to 
> remove "horizontal" [recorded in 
> http://www.w3.org/2008/05/29-ua-minutes.html#action02]
> 
> JS: Key thing is to say "appropriate with the language"
> 
> JA: I think if you review it...most of the text is in the flow defintion 
> so this can be simplified
> 
> JR: OK
> 
> <jeanne> "Print Scale: If a print from viewport feature is provided,
> 
> <jeanne> the user has the option of printing using the viewport's scale 
> settings
> 
> <jeanne> such that the user agent should attempt to *passively reflow* the
> 
> <jeanne> content into the horizontal dimensions of paper. If passive 
> reflow is
> 
> <jeanne> not possible, more than one sheet of paper will be required 
> horizontally.
> 
> JA: Then were we say the reflow is not possible, the same
> 
> DH: ok...but looks like I need to get on irc
> ... OK with basic requirement
> 
> <jeanne> JS: Ok
> 
> 3. Establish a process for how UAWG determines success criteria level 
> forUAAG2
> JA: Brought up by Kelly...
> ... Looked at WCAG2...
> ... In UAAG1 my rememberance is just that it was thrashed out in 
> group...if something would "really" cause problems it was an A
> ... Barrier to some is AA
> ... Nice to do become AAA
> 
> JR: Explains the WAI 1.0 vs 2.0 levels
> 
> So Level A...no work around for user
> 
> DH: What do you mean by "barrier" at level AA
> 
> JA: Level AA is nuanced thing...if don't do it...things are difficult 
> but not stonewalled
> 
> JR: Points out that "reasonably be achieved" usually comes into it
> 
> JA: We should try to harmonize with WCAG
> 
> JR: ATAG not fully worked out yet
> ... I suggest UAAG harmonizes with WCAG
> ... Reads from 
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20-20080430/conformance.html
> 
> "Understanding Levels of Conformance"
> 
> DH: Any one concerned about testable by machine or human
> ... Concerned about machine testing
> 
> <AllanJ> JR: explains machine testing,
> 
> JR: Thinks that UA context would mainly be human testing
> 
> JA: WCAG thinking about accessible content testing
> ... Don't think we could do this in UA
> 
> <AllanJ> JR: talking about accessibility of web application
> 
> <AllanJ> ... tools can inspect the web application
> 
> <AllanJ> ... UAAG has requirement to provide a "list of link"
> 
> <AllanJ> ... not sure a machine can do this, but a human can determine 
> if list is available
> 
> JR: Would think a couple people for ac ouple weeks could test a browser
> 
> oops that was JR
> 
> JA: So WCAG fully baked?...
> ... Don't know if we will creat an "Understanding UAAG"...
> ... Maybe for our own internal use we can use the 13 page version...
> ... We should inform our discussion of levels from WCAG's 13 page 
> version...but when we actually write UAAG2's conf section we'll try to 
> be shorter
> 
> 4. Future directions
> JA: We have the"Keyboard access" thing...
> ... But think that needs more work;...
> ... Then we have the UA and video peice
> 
> DH: WHat meant by video?
> 
> JA: Right now video treated as plugin...we talk about passing 
> control...etc.
> ... In HTML5 video will become more native...so more issues come up: 
> captions, text track
> ... Our placeholder text needs to be cleaned up
> ... I was thinking the browser should provide a standard widget set 
> around video
> 
> DH: Yeah...if its native it shouldn't be on screen readers to handle the 
> scripting
> ... Prob a pretty hot topic
> 
> JA: Yes
> 
> <AllanJ> JR: ALT issue, give background.
> 
> <AllanJ> ... a request for feedback to XTECH and HTML5 from UAWG
> 
> JA: So from user agent...we're going to reveal to user agent what's 
> important...
> ... Up to HTML5 to decide how to store what's important...
> 
> <AllanJ> JR: doesn't want ambiguity in the HTML5 spec.
> 
> JA: And in HTML5 there is a cascading layer 
> thing....legends...containing imgs etc.
> 
> <AllanJ> JR: don't think a big deal. @alt to be alternate representation 
> of the image, e.g. image of iceberg, @alt - iceberg floating in ocean, 
> <legend> if it uses the same language
> 
> <AllanJ> ... then only reveal one, if they are different then reveal both
> 
> JA: This is a screen reder repair issue...alt="" is decorative, no alt 
> triggers repair
> 
> <scribe> ACTION: JA will go through UAAG2 and look at places concerned 
> with revealing alternates [recorded in 
> http://www.w3.org/2008/05/29-ua-minutes.html#action03]
> 
> DH: Maybe I will try and get James Craig involved.
> 
> JA: Great...there's process things to do.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Cheers,
> Jan
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Jim Allan wrote:
>> User Agent Teleconference for 29 May 2008
>> ------------------------------------------------------------
>> Chair: Jim Allan
>> Date: Thursday, 29 May 2008
>> Time: 2:00-3:00 pm Boston Local Time, USA (19:00-20:00 UTC/GMT)
>> Call-in: Zakim bridge at: +1-617-761-6200, code 82941# for UK use
>> 44-117-370-6152
>> IRC: sever: irc.w3.org, port: 6665, channel: #ua.
>> -------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Agenda:
>>
>> 0. Regrets, agenda requests, or comments to the list
>>
>> 1. Choose a scribe
>>
>> 2. Printing in a user agent
>>     - open proposal for new success criteria   
>>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0072.html
>>
>>     - open proposal for definition of 'passive reflow'   
>>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0117.html
>> 3. Establish a process for how UAWG determines success criteria level for
>> UAAG20.     From WCAG 2.0 -
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20-20080430/conformance.html# 
>>
>> uc-levels-head     From ATAG 2.0 - 
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/ATAG20/#intro-org-sc-levels
>> 4. Future directions: We currently have 2 additional items that need
>> resolution
>>     a. Keyboard access controls visibility. Accelerator keys, shortcut
>> keys, and their presence in the user interface.
>>     - Open proposal - 
>>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0042.html
>>
>>     Does this proposal take into account the issues that we've raised so
>> far, and does it align with terminology that we've been discussing?
>>       b. UA and Video - we put place holder text in the working draft.
>> Need to review issues and craft success criteria if necessary.
>>     - current summary -
>>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008JanMar/0047.html
>>     - Jan's comments
>>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0087.html
>>
>>     Please send your suggestions on current UAAG20 mappings, proposed
>> success criteria, or other comments to the list.
>>
>>
>> Jim Allan, Webmaster & Statewide Technical Support Specialist
>> Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
>> 1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756
>> voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/
>> "We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan, 1964
>>
>>
>>
>>
> 

-- 
Jan Richards, M.Sc.
User Interface Design Specialist
Adaptive Technology Resource Centre (ATRC)
Faculty of Information Studies
University of Toronto

   Email: jan.richards@utoronto.ca
   Web:   http://jan.atrc.utoronto.ca
   Phone: 416-946-7060
   Fax:   416-971-2896
Received on Thursday, 29 May 2008 19:37:06 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:51:57 GMT