RE: Playing with the ACCESS wording

I'm in general agreement with this, although to be clear, I think what you are really describing here is more what JAWS would call the Invisible cursor and Window-Eyes would call the WE Pointer.  The difference here is that the Invisible cursor and the WE pointer are more an exploratory focus but do not move any computer focus.  The JAWS cursor and what Window-Eyes calls the Mouse pointer do end up moving the mouse focus and can still trigger mouse-based events events for example.  Other AT products have this same concept of of an exploratory focus as well, I've just used two examples here.

Kelly

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-ua-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ua-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Jan Richards
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 11:02 AM
To: WAI-UA list
Subject: Playing with the ACCESS wording

I was just talking with Gregory re: the "activate" issue...and I sent
him the following idea to make it clear that a UA has the freedom to
implement ACCESS such that the main focus isn't pulled away from what
the user is doing in order for them to explore the UI as a mouse user might.

3.1. The access element

The access element assigns an accessibility mapping to elements within a
document. Actuating the mapping results in the element gaining focus
(EITHER THE DOCUMENT FOCUS OR AN INSPECTION FOCUS AS DETERMINED BY THE
USER AGENT), AND (optionally) in some other event being delivered.

(BTW: the idea of an "inspection focus" could be extended to TAB
navigation as well, and basically describes the JAWS cursor)

Cheers,
Jan