Minutes for User Agent Teleconference for November 15 2007

From: Jan Richards <jan.richards@utoronto.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:36:16 -0500
To: 'WAI-ua' <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>

Location:

http://www.w3.org/2007/11/15-ua-minutes.html

Action Items:

ACTION: JA to Make a proposal for new checkpoint related to native
rendering of video and communication with AccessAPI etc

Minutes:

<oedipus> aloha, jim -- i will be at the meeting today -- the HTML WG
telecon is tomorrow

<AllanJ> title: User Agent telecon

<AllanJ> scribe: JR

<scribe> Scribe: JR

<oedipus> GJR action item update: Gregory to contact Doug Schepers about
multiple DOMs in CDF and embedded UAs

JA: Lots of work done on F2F and thanks to those people on the phone!

<oedipus> contacted DougS, acknowledged receipt, but will reply tomorrow
as he went from boston to NC to japan in a 24-hour timeframe

JA: We had David Singer from Apple and HTML5 joined us on Monday morning
... He took back some info on new <video> tag and we saw prototype of UA
rendering <video>
... Question to group...if video rendered natively then are video
controls chrome?

<oedipus> GJR +1 that controls are chrome if "rendered natively"

JR: Yes they are chrome

pparente: Agree

KF: Agree

JA: Agree

<oedipus> XHTML2 post of (related?) interest "role for object" -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xhtml2/2007Nov/0015.html

JA: Maybe related to DOM guidelines?

JR: 6.2?

<oedipus> GL 9: Provide access to content through a variety of
navigation mechanisms, including sequential navigation, direct
navigation, searches, and structured navigation

<scribe> ACTION: JA to Make a proposal for new checkpoint related to
native rendering of video and communication with AccessAPI etc [recorded
in http://www.w3.org/2007/11/15-ua-minutes.html#action01]

GR: XHTML2 doesn't like video, audio etc. and instead likes "role"s for
OBJECT
... More info at:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xhtml2/2007Nov/0015.html

JA: Should we be concerned about HTML5 vs XHTML2?

JR: Don't think so...we should keep things at a more general level.

GR: Agree
... BTW: XHTML2 is dropping handler from XML events....purpose handler
suggested by PF
... So trying figure out next PF steps....maybe via WebAPI group

JA: How to markup document changes?

GR: Checked into it - but no screen readers read style sheet info.
... Screen readers just scrape the screen.

PP: So colour info just not available?

GR: For named colours...can look for colour X on colour Y for example

PP: In Linux in Firefox the info goes into AccessAPI

GR: Right that's why I went to Orca since they use that

KF: To clarify, Jaws does deal a bit with where style tags are etc
... Can configure how to look for stylesheets

<KFord> Here's a technical support bulletin for JAWS and CSS.

<KFord> http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_support/BulletinView.cfm?QC=1165

GR: So that's why I contacted Orca - working with Linux as well as
iAccessible2 on Windows
... Will try to find strategies for marking changes

JA: We have some issues here at the school with power and I need to
leave call...
... So we'll wrap up.

Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: JA to Make a proposal for new checkpoint related to native
rendering of video and communication with AccessAPI etc [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2007/11/15-ua-minutes.html#action01]

[End of minutes]