Re: ToolTips: bug or feature?

On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 10:30:07AM +0200, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
[Cogent arguments omitted for brevity.]
> I agree that we should say 'user agents SHOULD NOT present alt and title in
> a way that makes it impossible to distinguish them'. Anything more is, I
> think, overly restrictive (and we would ignore it in practice). Anything
> less is avoiding the problem.

And since the draft already says this:
"The alt attribute does not represent advisory information. User agents
must not present the contents of the alt attribute in the same way as
content of the title attribute."

I think we can conclude that Charles favours not changing the spec in this
regard.

After reading Charles' arguments I'm not sure where I stand in this
discussion. The disagreement, such as it is, appears to have been narrowed to
the question of whether the UA can present a tooltip by default.

I tend to agree with Charles' points, unless there is strong evidence that
this behaviour leads to significant abuse of @alt and there is no reasonable
way to modify the UI that would counter authorial temptations to do so, short
of the proposed restriction.