Re: User Agent Teleconference for December 7 2006

On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 22:31:13 +0530, Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu> wrote:

> 11.1 Current user input configuration (P1)
> no problems. Requirement 1. Provide information to the user about current
> user preferences for input configurations.
> These are not current user preferences, they are the default UA input
> configurations. If the user overrides the bindings as per 11.3, I think
> 11.1 requires that the changes be noted in the documentation and the user
> interface (menus, etc.).
> Do others have the same understanding?

I do.

> 11.2 Current author input configuration (P2)
> ok. The user can find the author-specified input configurations.
> Should the user be able to override (change) these input configurations
> in the UA, or should that be the function of AT?

Should definitely b possible in the UA. AT used in combination with a UA
is just a more complex multi-part UA, but even an ordinary browser should
enable this.

> For those who do not use AT, but have a need to change the input
> configurations, I lean towards having the UA provide a mechanism for
> changing the author-specified input configurations. Currently, we have no
> guidelines, checkpoints, etc. pertaining to changing the author-specified
> input configurations...should we?

Doesn't 11.3 cover both author- and UA-defined bindings?

> 11.4 Single-key access (P2)
> ok.
> update -  Example Technique 1. Offer a single-key mode where, once the
> user has entered into that mode (e.g., by pressing a single key), most of
> the keys of the keyboard are configurable for single-key operation of
> the user agent. Allow the user to exit that mode by pressing a single
> key as
> well.
> For example, Opera [OPERA] includes a mode in which users can access
> important user agent functionalities with single strokes from the numeric
> keypad.
>
> change "numeric keypad" to "keyboard"

Actually I suggest the following more accurate text:

Opera [OPERA] makes all keys on the keyboard available to activate a
function or combination of functions as a single keypress, which can be
configured by the user as desired. Modes which require the user to use the
keyboard for some other function (entering text, or activating accesskeys)
can be entered or exited through a single (configurable) keypress.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com