Re: Notes from W3C User Agent Teleconference for 10 August 2006

From: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 16:14:43 -0400
To: WAI-UA list <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>

At 3:45 PM -0400 8/10/06, Jan Richards wrote:

>>ACTION: JR to Write note for 5.3 clarifying that new viewport is ok
>>on selecting link if the URL is the same
>
>Note:  If the user selects a link, opening that link's URI in the
>current viewport or in a new viewport would be considered to be an
>"explicit user request". Opening other URI's (e.g. as a result of
>code triggered by the loading of the page) is not considered to be
>an "explicit user request".

s/If the use selects a link/If the user activates a link/

User should be able to select or focus the link without activating it.

[but don't ask me for precise definitions.  I do think that 'select'
here invites misunderstanding.]

Compare with onChange problems in list boxes while arrowing around.

Al

PS: I wasn't in on the discussion, but without having heard that
discussion I wouldn't be totally sure it's cool for a page the user
requests by activating a link to open in a new window when the user
didn't know in advance that it would.  If you've beaten this one
to death, press on.