W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > January to March 2005

Minutes - W3C UAAG Joint Teleconference with SUN Bejing on February 7th/8th

From: Catherine Laws <claws@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:14:36 -0600
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Message-ID: <OFD5D5BDC3.B99A504E-ON86256FA2.0005ECAA-86256FA2.000C52D5@us.ibm.com>





--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chair: Jon Gunderson
Date: 7 February 2004 (USA) and 8 February (Bejing)
Time: 8:00pm Boston Local Time, USA (18:00-19:00 UTC/GMT) and
9:00am Bejing Local Time
Call-in: Zakim bridge at: +1-617-761-6200, code 8294
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


1. Agenda for User Agent FTF meeting in Boston on March 1st
and 3rd
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2005/03/ua-meeting

2. Test suites to support Mozilla keyboard model
http://cita.disability.uiuc.edu/mozilla/ts-index.html

3. Mozilla Accessibility Extension Features
http://www.disability.uiuc.edu/ita/dwatt/accessext/accessibilityext.xpi

Present:
Jon Gunderson
Cathy Laws
Matt Mays
Aaron Leventhal
Jessie Li
Kyle Yuan

Regrets: ?


Jon: Tuesday afternoon at face-to-face meeting with PF group about Web
applications roadmap. Role attribute and RDF descriptions of role.
Aaron: Working on some implementations of role in Mozilla. Working with
Window Eyes. Tree view. Checkbox. Spreadsheet.
Jon: Using active accessiblity?
Aaron: Yes, but MSAA has some limitation on role definitions. Some roles
may be exposed as a string in MSAA. ATK doesn't have that. Like no role for
spreadsheet but there are table roles. Using focusable state. I will
develop description of what we are doing.  ATs may not have to do anything
special if there is already something like the new roles. Some cases where
there is no relevant roles.
Jon: Part of the roles are defined in RDF.
Aaron. But RDF doesn't currently map to MSAA, so may have to have strings.
Besides we don't want RDF to be MSAA or ATK specific.
Jon: Kyle and Jessie should look at this. Make Mozilla accessibility
extensions implement these new roles. Any questions?
Kyle: Does Web application mean Web browser?
Jon: People use JavaScript and HTML to create more dynamic applications.
One definition is that the UI is self-modifying. State information may
change. Content is changing. Content appears and disappears. Manipulating
data like in spreadsheet cells. Web pages don't usually change like that.
How will browser expose this dynamicly changing content? Either
accessibility API to support or browser supports. Have you seen the
roadmap? Do you have W3C member access?
Kyle: Yes.
Jon: Posting link to roadmap. http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/roadmap/
Jon: Wednesday is technical plenary all day. Link in agenda. Exercise
during lunch on joint test suites. Also talking about Web applications,
versioning of W3C specs, extensibility, future of XML. 5 minute lightning
talks. Usability and the Web. Demos of multimodal user agents using audio,
video, and other technologies. Bigger picture view. Thursday - keyboard
implementation techniques and Mozilla test suites. Implications from Web
application meetings. Afternoon will be with SVG and Dean Jackson, and then
test suites. Anything else you want to see?
Kyle: Mozilla does not really support SVG accessibility.
Jon: Not talking about SVG support in Mozilla specifically. Just SVG
accessibility in general. Maybe somebody from Adobe to meet with the group
about some of their SVG test suite development, integrate our tests into
some of their tests.  John Pairello?
Kyle: Question about Thursday morning talk on Mozilla.
Jon: More roundtable discussion on Thursday about Mozilla. Maybe reach some
consensus on some issues. When we talk about keyboard model of Mozilla,
maybe you can give demos.
Jon: List of questions on lunch tables for Wednesday to talk about test
suites. Survey results presented later on Wednesday. UAAG people will be
strategically at different tables. Different groups will be sitting
together.
Jon: Compound document group. How to glue all specs together.
Jon: Does PF group have agenda yet for Tuesday meeting?
Matt: Not yet.
Jon: I have a call with them this week to talk about our meeting.
Kyle: Is test suite discussion on Thursday after about Mozilla?
Jon: No general UAAG test suite discussion. We'll talk about Mozilla test
suites on Thursday morning. Will Peter be there?
Kyle: Yes.
Jon: We made some modifcations to Mozilla test suites. Chance to see if
they satisfied your issues?
Jessie: I sent comments last week.
Jon: OK, so you sent some more comments last week. I'll look at that. I was
out of town last week. We'll work on that this week. Inline comments are
good.
Jessie: If not clear, email me.
Jon: Aaron have you been using caret navigation?
Aaron: No, focused on DHTML and getting it to work with WIndow Eyes. Maybe
Rich can help with the demo.
Jon: Publishing new Mozilla extensions in a few weeks. CSS styling and
disabling certain events to test keyboard access issues.
Aaron: DOM event to detect changing a style attribute? Like display:none.
Mozilla doesn't watch for changes like changing a style. We have to hook
into
Cathy: Talk to Kip Harris in IBM AC. There is an event to know when page
content changes but I don't think you can know the exact location of the
change.
Aaron: The event may be IE specific.
Jon: We have a wiki to collect information and ideas and issues related to
Web applications and accessibility, ATs, technologies. To collect issues to
plan strategies. Maybe to schedule a special meeting to bridge assistive
technologies, Web authoring, and user agents.
Matt: wiki helps when 2 working groups are working on the same issue and
assistive technology vendors can be watching.
Jon: Anyone can edit and you don't have to be a member of a working group.
No permission required.
Matt: If someone decides to delete everything, I can roll back changes.
Jon: wiki uses pseudo languages and markup. Look at help for formatting.
Ways to provide links to resources. Next meeting is face-to-face meeting
next month.

Cathy Laws

IBM Accessibility Center, WW Strategic Platform Enablement
11501 Burnet Road,  Bldg 904 Office 5F017, Austin, Texas 78758
Phone: (512) 838-4595, FAX: (512) 838-9367, E-mail: claws@us.ibm.com, Web:
http://www.ibm.com/able
Received on Tuesday, 8 February 2005 02:17:38 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:51:28 GMT