Re: [#831] Structural emphasis evident really a user agent issue?

Agree... this is User Agent Issue.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Cooper" <michaelc@watchfire.com>
To: "WAI GL (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, June 21, 2004 10:06 PM
Subject: [#831] Structural emphasis evident really a user agent issue?

While mapping HTML techniques to the guidelines, I tried to think what
technique
I would create for the fifth Level 3 success criterion of 2.4 [1]. This
requires
that structural markup be evident on low-fidelity displays. I could not
think of
any HTML techniques that could guarantee compliance with this
requirement;
furthermore it seems that if you follow requirements to use structural
markup
properly this issue should take care of itself. The user agent should
make
structural markup evident, that's why we require it.

So I think this is not a _content_ requirement and should be removed
from
WCAG.
It is a user agent requirement, and the UA group should determine how to
handle
it. I propose we remove this success criterion from WCAG.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/WD-WCAG20-20040602.html#navigation-mechanism
s-distinct-display-types

--- Signature ---

Michael Cooper
Accessibility Product Manager, Watchfire
1 Hines Rd Suite 200, Kanata, ON  K2K 3C7  Canada
Tel: +1 (613) 599-3888 x4019
Fax: +1 (613) 599-4661
Email: michaelc@watchfire.com
Web: http://www.watchfire.com/