Re: Data table help.

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: 28 Oct 2003 10:38:28 -0500
To: toan.tran@rbc.com
Cc: Jon + Tracy + Palmer + Catherine Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 10:19, toan.tran@rbc.com wrote:
> Ian,
>
> Could you please let me know what's wrong with the data table below?
> Is it a valid data table?

You can check with the HTML validator:
  http://validator.w3.org/

> Can I have IDs attributes for data cells? (indicated in red below).
> Should these "ids" be  "headers" instead?
> It would be great if you let me know asap.
>
> Also is there a difference (in term of HTML syntax) between a Section
> 508 and a W3C's WCAG1.0 Table?

Neither one goes this deep. So presumably there's no difference
between the two, since such a difference could not be detected.

> Is there a difference in the way a screen reader (ie: JAWS) will read
> the table using Section 508 syntax vs. W3C's WCAG1.0 syntax?

Again, I don't think there's a well-defined difference.

You should be fine if you create an HTML that is valid markup.

 - Ian

> Thank you in advanced for your help. I really appreciate it.

> <tbody>
> <th id="tbl452id0_0" scope="row">
> </th>
> <th id="tbl452id0_1" scope="row">
> </th>
> <th id="tbl452id0_2" scope="row">
> </th>

> <th id="tbl452id1_0" scope="row">
> </th>
> <th id="tbl452id1_1" scope="row">
> </th>
> <th id="tbl452id1_2" scope="row">
> </th>
> <th id="tbl452id2_0" scope="row">
> </th>
> <th id="tbl452id2_1" scope="row">
> </th>
> <th id="tbl452id2_2" scope="row">
> </th>
> </tbody>
>

> Regards,
>
> Toan Tran
> Technical Systems Analyst
> Integration Middleware & Application Services
> RBC Financial Group - Systems & Technology
> 315 Front Street West, 5th Floor
> Tel: (416) 348-4005    Fax: (416) 348-2613
> Email: toan.tran@rbc.com

> This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does
> not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or
> copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an
> intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in
> error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately.
>
> Ce courrier électronique est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne
> renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute
> diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements
> qu'il contient par une personne autre que le (les) destinataire(s)
> désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courrier électronique par
> erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par retour de courrier
> électronique ou par un autre moyen.

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447