Scrolling Caused by Marquee

From: WeSaySo <tryandguessit@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 15:47:45 -0400 (EDT)
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org

>From the scroll text (marquee) test page at
<http://www.hicom.net/~oedipus/wai/ua/tests/scrolling_text_test1.html>

using:

1) MacOS X 10.1.5
2) no assisting programs
3) Mozilla 1.1b Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X; en-US;
rv:1.1b) Gecko/20020730
4) no special settings
5) <marquee> is recognized by this browser.  All three test paragraphs
behaved as described in the instructions (ltr, rtl, back and forth
scrolling).
6) I was unable to stop the text from scrolling in any of the 3 test
cases via keyboard, mouse, or menu.

Observations: Clicking/dragging on the text only selected parts of the
text and it was difficult to select a specific string.  If I selected a
substring and waited for the text to scroll around so I could select
the rest of the string, the original selection was lost.  Reading the
text was difficult, particularly in the example with text scrolling
left to right.  At narrow window widths, the entire text was often not
be displayed at once.

Adding "marquee { -moz-binding: none; display: block; height: auto
!important; }" to the user style sheet completely disabled the text
movement.  Text could be selected normally and read with ease.  Also,
the entire text was shown, irrespective on window width.