Thread safety

From: Aaron Leventhal <aaronl@netscape.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 12:32:56 -0800
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
CC: schwerdt@us.ibm.com
Recently the discussion of thread safety came up - the question was:
Is thread safety necessary to make a DOM implementation useful to AT
vendors.

Originally I thought thread safety was critical. I have since changed my
mind.

It's possible for an AT vendor to install a stub component that talks to
Gecko's DOM, on the main thread.
This component can act as a bridge, and talk to the main AT process.
Thus, it is entirely possible to use all of Gecko's DOM interfaces in a
safe manner without requiring thread safety.

We can come up with some sample code, if any AT vendors are interested
in pursuing this further with us.

Thank you,
Aaron Leventhal
Netscape Accessibility