Re: Issues and comments arising from UA evaluations

From: Aaron Leventhal <aaronl@netscape.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 13:40:59 -0800
To: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Ian B. Jacobs wrote:

>   - AT developers may not, in practice, be interested in
>     implementing the DOM, even though in the past they have
>     expressed interest.

Freedom Scientific markets their products as making use of the DOM.
However, they are not talking about the W3C DOMs -- they are talking
about proprietary DOMs such as those that exist in Microsoft Word or
Microsoft Excel via very powerful COM or ActiveX interfaces. For their
Internet Explorer support they currently parse the HTML themselves.

Anyway, I think what a "DOM" is, is clear to us in the context of W3C
document, but may not be clear to AT vendors who use many different
kinds of DOMs. They are probably interested in any kinjd of
cross-process interfaces that give them content..

In addition, the W3C DOM does not say anything about user intefaces,
unless they are written in markup, which is not always the case. How
does the UAAG suggest we expose information about our user interface
widgets?

Aaron