Re: Raw minutes from 20 Jun 2002 UAWG teleconference

At 15:28 2002-06-20 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>  Action IJ: Update table test to add fixed row headers.

Suggest also add abbr to th cells to see if browsers use them in place of
full th cell content when referenced to identify the th associated with any
td cell.

>Proposed for Speech user agents:
>
>    a) Allow the user to move the point of regard to
>       each table cell.
>
>    b) Allow the user query the cell "under" the point
>       of regard for associated header information.

Which associated header information is abbr value if provided, else the full
th content.

>    c) Allow config so that when the user moves
>       the point of regard from one table row to the next,
>       the UA renders as synthesized speech at least
>       the changed

row (not column)

>                           column header information and cell data.
>       Allow the same for column-to-column navigation.
>
>    d) When a cell has no content, indicate this to the
>       user when satisfying requirements b and d.
>
>    e) Add a Note that user agents should indicate nested
>       tables, and level of nesting.

HB asked about explicit use (however rare) of html th and td axis list of
idrefs to
ids of cells (generally th) that contain header identification.

[I note that html4.01 strict dtd adds a headers attribute that contains a
list of idrefs to
ids on all appropriate th cells.]

Alternative is to presume that all th cells (including spanning ones) in
the row
and column of a particular td cell contain identification for that td cell.
This may
desirably be limited to within the th of  just the nested table, and ignore
the
superior table cell in which it is nested. Note that axis idref reference
to an id in the superior table should be honored.

I also note that the abbr attribute can be used on th cells to provide an
abbreviated
content for reading in place of the full th cell content when identifying
the th that provide
the qualifying context for a td cell.
Regards/Harvey Bingham